Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I disconnect my old Mac & connect my new device to my Dropbox account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm happily synching my Mac desktop and an old Mac laptop.  Just got a new laptop, so I want to unsynch/disconnect the old laptop (so I can dispose of it) before introducing the new device. How do I safely unsynch the device without distubing files on either device ? Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Unsynch old device

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Have all of your files already been uploaded to the cloud?  AKA do you see the green check mark?  If you do then when you log onto your Dropbox account online you should be able to see all of those files from your computer.

Since these are saved already, you can safely add the Dropbox desktop application to your new Mac, and remove this program from your current device.  All data will be saved and will not be deleted because it has already been uploaded online.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: How can I disconnect my old Mac & connect my new device to my Dropbox account?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Oh, but it seems that you addressed Scott’s concern & your comment took away his uneasiness proceeding with that, so I’d say that your reply was spot on @daveu1. I’m just pinging you back to thank you for taking a bit of your time to advise a fellow Community member. Have a nice rest of your Tuesday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Have all of your files already been uploaded to the cloud?  AKA do you see the green check mark?  If you do then when you log onto your Dropbox account online you should be able to see all of those files from your computer.

Since these are saved already, you can safely add the Dropbox desktop application to your new Mac, and remove this program from your current device.  All data will be saved and will not be deleted because it has already been uploaded online.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Excellent.  Thanks dave ... sounds simple enough, but I was a wee bit nervous.  Onward !

Highlighted

Re: How can I disconnect my old Mac & connect my new device to my Dropbox account?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@Scott007), congratulations on the new 🍏 Mac! 

For starters, @daveu1’s advice will definitely point you towards the right direction (as your first step before you unlink & delete your Dropbox folder locally should be to cross-check that all your content has been properly updated online)

From there, you can easily unlink your your old laptop, following the steps outlined below: 

Spoiler
#1. Right-click the Dropbox icon on your menu bar, by the clock.
#2. Click on the  icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
#3. Click the 'Unlink' button
#4. Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. Quit!
You can now safely move or delete files in the Dropbox folder and not affect anything else stored online.

Hopefully this answers your question, though we’re also here in case you have any follow-up inquiries or in case you need any further assistance in any way. Take care until we talk again & enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Good point.  There are some additional steps for full unlinking.  I guess I was focusing on checking that your data has been fully backed up safely.  Thanks for the clarification.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Oh, but it seems that you addressed Scott’s concern & your comment took away his uneasiness proceeding with that, so I’d say that your reply was spot on @daveu1. I’m just pinging you back to thank you for taking a bit of your time to advise a fellow Community member. Have a nice rest of your Tuesday! 

Jane

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks top you both.  I've been happy with DropBox for some time, but switching computers had me concerned but all's cool now.  Well Done and thanks again.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?