cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get rid one of my files in my Recents list?

How can I get rid one of my files in my Recents list?

DanLester
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Mac 10.11.6 Dropbox 55.4.171

In my "Recent Files" there is a file that someone shared with me 4 months ago. As in "JoeBlow added 4 months ago". No one has used it since then. I want it to go away. Do I have to ask Jow Blow to stop sharing it with me?? That file is NOT in my own sharing folder. That is, do I have no control over what is in my "Recent Files" list, and other people can litter up that "Recent Files" list of mine?

12 Replies 12

DanLester
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, thank you very much. I did exactly what you suggested - putting Textedit.app in the Dropbox, letting it sync on all the associated files, and then removing that app. The offending file disappeared! Not quite sure why. When I remove the added files, why should it remove the one I didn't add? My Recents list is now clean.

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

@DanLester wrote:

When I remove the added files, why should it remove the one I didn't add? 

Dropbox keeps tracks of about 20 files in the recent files list. When you add more that those number of files, the older entries goes away. So when you added the Textedit.app, i.e., 100+ files, the older entries are removed. Now since you deleted those new files, they are also removed from the recent items list completely emtying the list. Next time anew file is added or changes are made in your Dropbox, thoese will appear.

DanLester
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Pretty subtle! And a nice trick for removing Recents. Thanks again.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DanLester Helpful | Level 6
    Elixir Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?