cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out how our Community members are using Dropbox here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the icon to have transparency on Linux?

Highlighted

How can I get the icon to have transparency on Linux?

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have a dark theme using awesome wm...after the 12/8 update the tray icon has a light background, and is now a big white square, whereas before it had a dark bg. Is there a way to have the dark theme friendly icon back?

12 Replies 12
Highlighted

Re: tray icon linux

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I'm using Xfce4, and sometimes the icon won't even show up.

I downgraded to Dropbox 2 only to discover that Dropbox tries to autoupdate. There is no documentation on how to disable it, and I ended up creating files with permissions of 000 to make Dropbox stop downloading itself. I will update programs on my system myself, thank you very much (especially when there are regressions upstream).

And in my humble opinion, rewriting the entire GUI in QT was pointless. The old GUI worked and integrated with the desktop much nicer than the new QT GUI (and the icon reliably showed up in the system tray).

I'm posting here so that (hopefully) we can get the attention of someone who works for Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

That's odd: the icons like /opt/dropbox/images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-logo.png do actually have transparency. But my awesome wm shows the gray background around the tray icon as well.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Same issue here (Debian Wheezy amd64, Dropbox 3.0.3, XFCE)
All .png files in ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-3.0.3/images/hicolor/16x16/status contain transparent boxes.

apt-get purge dropbox && rm -rf .dropbox-dist

then reinstalling did not help.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Running Linux Mint 17.1 with Dropbox 3.0.4 and the tray icon now has a black background :\

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Same here running fedora 21 workstation with gnome 3.14.2 with Dropbox version 3.0.3 the tray icon does not show up clicking on the empty space where the icon should be does not open the dropbox folder like the old version, right clicks opens the menu that's working, as someone said the new QT GUI is not that good the old version was reliable and good looking, and better integrated with the linux desktop

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I have exactly the same issue - white ugly icon on a black background... Fedora 21 with Mate-Desktop, on two different machines :(

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I had the same problem, it might have to do with what display/graphics drivers you're using. When I was using the official Nvidia drivers for my card under Linux Mint 17.1, I was getting the ugly black background on the Dropbox icon even though the actual icon has a transparent background. I uninstalled all the Nvidia proprietary drivers (sudo apt-get purge nvidia- and it all went away on next restart, along with some OS freezing issues I was suffering from. Again, it might not actually have been just the Nvidia drivers causing the problem but after I did that, it went away and looks the way like it used to again.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Check this out:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?pid=414074#p414074

Solved the problem for me.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Are you using LC_NUMERIC=C ?

Open an xterm and try the following:

dropbox stop

#If you use a different language than english (like me) put here your language locale

export LC_NUMERIC=es_ES

#else

unset LC_NUMERIC

dropbox start

Be aware that underscore "_" may be removed after add a response ( very crazy !!)
That work for me on slackware / mate desktop Dropbox v3.4.3 !!
Regards

Jorge Cardoso

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?