cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get the old file view back?

How can I get the old file view back?

Rob W.16
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi, 

How do I remove 'Recents' as I login now and I can't get to see my files and folders...I can't even get using the menu on the left hand side!! 

If this is a 'fancy new development' then the cheif development manager at Dropox need to loose his job!!! 

Total nightmare!! 

36 Replies 36

John M.139
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I thought it had stopped.   I'm seeing folder view when I sign in now.....

Chris A.37
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

No this has not stopped. You probably have set the Folder View as a favorite or your browser has automatically but if you go to another computer and login you will not go to Folder View, you will go to Recents.

Bud B.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just signed-up for DB Pro today and when I open the app to "Recent" photos it brings up a screen full of thumbnail pix from eBay (the last application I had open before DP Pro).  I just emailed DB Support and told them if I can't get this "recent" so-called feature disabled I want the PRO account canceled and my $$ refunded.  The user ought to be able to set the default view.

Rob G.27
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'd like to add my voice to this discussion as well since nothing has been done to fix this terrible UI decision. Dropbox, please change the default login back to files or give us the ability to change it ourselves. I do not know a single person who does not absolutely hate the fact that you force us to open onto the recents tab. Please resolve this issue. You have a great service, but this was a pointless and incredibly obnoxious decision that is very easy for you to fix, so please do it!

Thank you.

Kevin G.18
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am starting work for a new company next week, and we are going to set up a cloud based file system, but if dropbox doesn't fix this immediately, I will just recomment something better!

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you go to www.dropbox.com/account and scroll to the bottom you will see the option to disable 'recents' from being your default landing page.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Charles L.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Ed Unless I'm missing something this does not work for mobile (Android). I still have the very irritating "recents" as the default view. There doesn't seem to be any way to disable this for mobile.

+1

Blaine M.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

NOPE.  I unchecked that... the second of four options in the right column. closed all windows, even logged out and back in. Still defaults to recents.  SUCKS   when something works... quit messing with it. Did I mention that it sucks?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Remember that what Ed is referring to is for the Dropbox website only. It does not apply to the mobile clients which will always default to the Recents tab.

Martin D.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Usually Dropbox is quite responsive to fixing their mistakes, for example ditching their failed Carousel app.

I can understand why Dropbox have implemented this annoying feature, i.e. in an attempt to encourage users to 'share' more, but Dropbox is not Facebook. Dropbox is first and foremost a personal repository of ones' files. If Dropbox does not recognise and appreciate this fact, they risk alienating their customer base and losing customers. And let's face it, there is lots of free alternative options out there which allow their customers to control their data as they please.

So Dropbox, please change the default login (on Android app) back to Files or give us the ability to change it ourselves. Like others have said, everyone absolutely hates the fact that you force us to open onto the Recents tab. Please resolve this issue. 

Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Corey A. New member | Level 1
    Alison M.1 New member | Level 1
    Travis G.2 New member | Level 1
    Chris A.37 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?