cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I have two computers with Dropbox set up identically?

How can I have two computers with Dropbox set up identically?

Kelsays
Explorer | Level 3

I have had 2 pcs i used in my classroom, one with instructor development stuff abd one to run the presentations. I have retired and now want both set up identically. Can i clear all dropbox content and resynch them with the new data to both pcs? I am concerned that if i delete the dropbox files, i will delete them on the 2 pcs as well.

7 Replies 7

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Kelsays , thanks for posting your question on our Community!

I'm assuming that you want these two computers to both be linked to the same Dropbox account.

If you want to do a clean re-sync of the files, so both Dropbox folders are identical, you'll first need to unlink the computers, by signing out of the Dropbox app.

Once the computers are unlinked, you are safe to delete the local Dropbox folders. Any deletions won't reflect on the actual Dropbox account.

And after you've deleted the Dropbox folders, you can sign back in to the application and it will re-download your files.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kelsays
Explorer | Level 3

No, Just the opposite, I want to delete the cloud files, and then let the two PCs synch up with each other.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi @Kelsays, if you delete the files from the site, or one of the computers, the deletions will sync to the other machine.

Once the deletions have completed, you can add the files that you want to sync into the Dropbox folder, or the site, and the files will sync to the other devices.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Jeff Chimovitz
Explorer | Level 4

I have a laptop at my office and a laptop in my home office. I am a sole practioner and I use both in my law practice. I have populated the office laptop with hundreds of abbreviations. I'd like to use Dropbox to "synch" Breevy in each laptop with the other.  I just don't how to do that. Can anyone give me step=by-step instructions?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jeff Chimovitz, thanks for joining the discussion here.

You should be able to achieve what you had in mind by installing the Dropbox desktop app on both of your laptops, signing into the same Dropbox account on both and ensuring that the files or folders you'd like to be synced across your devices are located inside your Dropbox folder.

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Jeff Chimovitz
Explorer | Level 4

Walter:

1. What is the "file" that I have to have situated in my Dropbox folder? is it "Breevy.exe" or is it the abbreviation data file(s)?

2. I'm "assuming" (i.e., "guessing") that each local Breevy program will "reach out" to the abbreviation data file in the Dropbox folder and substitute the designated item for the abbreviated it. In my layman's terms, the two laptops share the same data file, independently of one another.

3. What is/are the files that have to be in the Dropbox folder-i.e., can i get by with only "my. Abbreviations" file or do I havr to anclude all of Breevy's files? -If you know.

That's enough questions for one session.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jeff Chimovitz, sorry to jump in here.

I understand you'd like to sync the abbreviations you created using the Breevy app across your computers.

After searching a bit online, I was able to find that Breevy can somehow integrate with Dropbox to do this.

However, since this is not an official integration with us, I'd have to redirect you to them, to see how that might be possible.

You should be able to find more info here.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?