cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I make sure my desktop app is syncing?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have recently downloaded dropbox to my computer. I was thinking that now when I access documents saved there, and make edits, the edits will automatically be saved on the dropbox website. I also thought anyone accessing the document will be able to see my edits (like how Google Docs work). However, this is not working. Someone told me I need to "sync" my dropbox, but I can't figure out how to do this. I'm attaching a pic of what I see on my computer and wonder if someone can walk me through what to do. Thank you!Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.05.05 AM.png

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: Syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey there @sms18w,

When the desktop app is running, you should also see a small Dropbox icon in your menu bar too, in the top right corner of your screen:

Dropbox icon in menu bar.Dropbox icon in menu bar.

If you're not seeing that icon there, you will need to launch the Dropbox desktop app from your Applications menu. Once you see the icon appear, you can click it to get more detail on the sync status. Once it's showing "Up to date", any changes you've made to shared content will show for the others accessing it.

You'll also be able to tell if the app is running from your Finder window as you will be able to see the sync icons next to your files. Such as  next to synced files and  next to syncing files.

Let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?