cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I properly uninstall the desktop app after it reappeared on a computer?

How can I properly uninstall the desktop app after it reappeared on a computer?

JasonV1
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying to assist an end user. She downloaded and installed the desktop version. She then noticed all her files on her desktop moving to a dropbox folder in the C:\ drive. She uninstalled it and deleted the dropbox folder. For some reason, the folder is back and is syncing all her data back in that folder. How do I properly uninstall dropbox? why is it doing this?

8 Replies 8

Re: Unsync Dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @JasonV1, thanks for reaching out to us here!

When installing the app on their computer, it sounds like they enabled the computer backup during he setup. This feature syncs allows you to sync your Desktop, Downloads and Documents folders.

It does sound rather strange though, that the app appeared to be back and syncing after uninstalling. Was the app successfully uninstalled the first time?

Perhaps I'd suggest unlinking the desktop app from their account with these steps to prevent it from syncing again and then uninstall.

However, please note that when the computer backup is enabled and then the app uninstalled or unlinked, this will disable the backup. This means that the files will remain in the Dropbox folder under "My PC (xyz)".

Before deleting the Dropbox folder, which would be like any other folder on the computer after unlinking/uninstalling, please move the content of the backed up folders back to the original locations.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JasonV1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. 

I find it strange because the Dropbox application is not listed in the add/remove programs, I don't see it in the program files (x86) or program files folder ,  and that dropbox folder where all the files are being synced to magically re-appeared even after being deleted. So now every folder created on the desktop is in that dropbox folder.

Also, she did not create a login account. 

Thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @JasonV1!

Can you let me know if the files added to the desktop are showing a green tick sync icon next to them?

Also, do you see a Dropbox icon in the system tray near the time display? If you have a small upward arrow to the left of the system tray you may need to click on this to see if the Dropbox icon is located there.

However, if the app isn't appearing in those locations then it would indeed suggest the app was uninstalled correctly.

If you can, any screenshots you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

JasonV1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

The dropbox folder keep reappearing after being deleted multiple times. Dropbox app has been uninstalled and the account was deleted altogether. How do I stop this from syncing? Thanks!

Dropbox2.PNG

dropbox.PNG

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the update @JasonV1!

Could you just try resetting the default folder path for your Desktop and Documents folders to see if that will allow you to delete the Dropbox folder without it reappearing?

You can do this navigating to your system Desktop/Downloads folders (not the ones in the Dropbox backup folder), right clicking and choosing properties and then go to the Location tab. From here, you can reset the path back to the default.

If the path is still being redirected to the backup folder within Dropbox then doing this should allow you to delete the Dropbox folder from your computer.

Please do make sure to move any files within the Dropbox folder to another location on your computer before doing this, including the files currently within the Desktop/Downloads backup folder within Dropbox.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

JasonV1
Explorer | Level 3

HI, 

Thank you again for your response but I cannot change the location of the desktop folder. See below. 

Please advise. 

Thanks!

dropbox- desktop.PNG

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @JasonV1!

It looks like you're running a different version of Windows there, but not to worry. Can you let me know if the option is perhaps under "Previous versions" instead?

Also, when you try and delete the Dropbox folder, can you try checking if there are any other programs running in the activity monitor that could be causing the folder to be added back again?

Since you've completely uninstalled the Dropbox app, the folder must be added back by something else on the computer.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

JasonV1
Explorer | Level 3

HI, 

Nothing is displayed in previous versions. 

What process will be running in the background that would cause it to reappear?

Also she doesn't have dropbox installed on any other computer.

Please advise. 

Thanks!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JasonV1 Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?