cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I relink a device after uninstalling the app and getting the device limit message?

How can I relink a device after uninstalling the app and getting the device limit message?

GHAN
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I had dropbox installed on three PCs and on one mobile for already 4-5 years. Today I have unistalled my dropbox desktop app from one of my computers and reinstalled. Unfortunatelly now I cannot sign in to my account, it says that up to 3 devices could be linked.

How can I solve this issue? or how can I link my device again? And why I haven't received any information that as soon as I unlink one of my devices, it won't be possible to link again?

Thanks in advance. 

4 Replies 4

Re: How can I relink a device after uninstalling the app and getting the device limit message?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @GHAN, thanks for joining the Community!

The 3 device limit on Basic accounts was implemented over a year ago. For users who already had more than 3 devices connected, they were allowed to remain linked to their account.

However, adding new devices, or unlinking and relinking an existing device, wouldn’t work until the account has less than 3 devices connected.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: How can I relink a device after uninstalling the app and getting the device limit message?

GHAN
Explorer | Level 3
Hi,

Thank you very much for the reply.
I did not receive any information that there will be limit for the linked devices, and if I unlink any of them, I won't be able to relink again.

Is it possible to make an exclusion or any solution?
Thank you.

Rich
Super User II

@GHAN wrote:
I did not receive any information that there will be limit for the linked devices, and if I unlink any of them, I won't be able to relink again.

It was announced in March of 2019 that this change was taking place.

Is it possible to make an exclusion or any solution?

That's not possible. The only way to relink the device now would be to upgrade to a paid account for a month, link the extra device and then downgrade your account again.

GHAN
Explorer | Level 3
Hi,

Thank you very much.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GHAN Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?