cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I remove my files from Dropbox?

How can I remove my files from Dropbox?

DaveHouser
Explorer | Level 3

I installed dropbox with a new user name in order to access shared folders.  I hadn't meant to tie my personal files in (desktop and all files on hard drive), but the dropbox immediately became over-filled. I have turned on "selective sync" and deleted the dropbox program from the laptop. Still, it does not allow me to remove the files. They are not shared to anyone, but it takes up space and it's unnecessary.  

It should be an easy solution. 

5 Replies 5

Re: How can I remove my files from Dropbox?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @DaveHouser, thanks for posting on the Community!

The Dropbox desktop application shouldn’t take all the files on your machine to sync them. Could you let me know exactly what is happening with the app, and which folders are appearing in the folder?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DaveHouser
Explorer | Level 3

I didn't think it should. It created a folder, My PC (59 L7HT2) (Probably my laptop ID). 

Attempts to delete it result in the message "Couldn't Delete 1 item".  

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info. It sounds like you're using the automatic computer backup feature.

Could you try these steps provided by my colleague to see if they help?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DaveHouser
Explorer | Level 3

I re-installed dropbox on the laptop, and elected "Basic" and deselected "My computer", only selected one online folder which is shared. However, "My Computer" still shows and I am unable to delete it from dropbox, either online or on the app. 

DaveHouser
Explorer | Level 3

When I go to Preferences/Import, there are no auto backup options so I can't change that. I uninstalled, reinstalled and the dropbox folder is visible in Explorer, regardless of installation. If I go to sync and uncheck "My Computer" it restores the check for selective sync. 

Still unresolved. 

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?