cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I rename my device?

How can I rename my device?

garzjoe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So I know I've been able to do it before...I have multiple PC's sycned up and I always name the devices like Work Laptop, Home PC, Home Laptop, etc...

Under Settings-->Security-->Devices I can see all my devices but not option to rename them.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @garzjoe, in order to change the name of a device to appear differently on the website, you’d have to change the name of the device itself. To do this, follow the steps below:
  1. Unlink your computer. 
  2. Change the name of the device from the computer’s settings. 
  3. Relink your device once more. 
Since the security tab shows you a list of connected computers, the names shown online would have to match the names of the computers linked, making this device-specific.

I hope this helped to some extent! :slight_smile:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @garzjoe, in order to change the name of a device to appear differently on the website, you’d have to change the name of the device itself. To do this, follow the steps below:
  1. Unlink your computer. 
  2. Change the name of the device from the computer’s settings. 
  3. Relink your device once more. 
Since the security tab shows you a list of connected computers, the names shown online would have to match the names of the computers linked, making this device-specific.

I hope this helped to some extent! :slight_smile:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

garzjoe
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thank you Lusil! I had thought of that...but this particular device is my work PC so I don’t want to change the name of the PC locally.

There was a time we were able to do this. My work PC had to get re-imaged it had a nickname I had given it. I deleted that device and now I’m stuck with this one, not a huge deal was hoping for a way to do this in DropBox but looks like they removed the feature for one reason or another.

wgf4242
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Not work by double click computer name in Seccurity .

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, I moved your thread into this one since it was related.

You can't rename the computer name from the security settings, you'll need to follow the steps provided by colleague above to change the computer name.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

adrianp74
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

How does this now work with the new device limits? Wouldn't these instructions basically trick grandfathered users to removing devices and then not be able to add them back unless they now reduce to 2 devices or pay?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @adrianp74, since these instructions were provided prior to the 3 device limit on Basic plans, we wouldn’t recommend users unlink if they have more than 3 devices connected just to change the computer name.

Currently, there isn’t another way to change the name on the computer, since it does register the name when the account is connected to that machine when it is first linked.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

orchetect
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So can someone explain why the Dropbox client doesn't just detect the device/computer's name has changed, and update the Device Name automatically?

This gets confusing in an environment where machines' roles change periodically so they get renamed, but the old name sticks in Dropbox's Devices listing. Unlinking and relinking Dropbox is a ridiculous workaround, especially for very large Dropbox accounts.

323buz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I have an iMac and when I go to my Dropbox Account/ Setting /Security and look at the device name for my iMac it makes no sense to anything I see annotated anywhere in my iMac's System Preferences?

Where on my iMac do I go to view/change the name that Dropbox uses for my iMacs Device Name?

Thanks

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @323buz, thanks for reaching out to us. 

In general, you should be able to find your computer's name by:

• Clicking on the Apple logo in the top left corner.
  • Selecting System Preferences from the Apple menu.
  • Going to the Sharing icon.

I've also moved your post here, where other users have also expressed a similar concern, so when you have the chance, have a look at what is mentioned. 

Don't hesitate to get back to us if you have any other questions, cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    323buz New member | Level 2
    orchetect Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    adrianp74 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?