cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Our Community can help you set up and make Dropbox work for you. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I revert back to using me File Explorer/Finder instead of the new desktop app?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The new desktop version of Dropbox is dreadful, I used to really love using Dropbox desktop as it just looked like any other filing system on the computer, now I have side bars that are useless and find it really difficult to locate and drag/save/edit various files easily like I used to be able to.

Is there any way to change back to the normal file design on desktop dropbox? In the corner of the screen when I open dropbox it says "Dropbox desktop beta". I want to go back to normal dropbox, its driving me insane. Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Just take me to my file explorer

Helpful | Level 6

1: Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar

2: Click your profile picture or initials in the top right of the small window.

3: Click Preferences

4: From the General tab, for the option “Open folders in”, choose Finder

View solution in original post

105 Replies 105
Highlighted

Re: How to change back to the old Dropbox Desktop design

Super User
Super User

Hi @Katejw ,

From my understanding, the new Dropbox desktop app is just an add-on of the original file system level integration that should still exist on your computer. So in short, you may simply close the Dropbox desktop app window and continue to use either "Windows Explorer" or "Mac Finder" with Dropbox integrated just like the old days.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Vicker

Highlighted

Just take me to my file explorer

Helpful | Level 6

I am very used to (and happy with) the behaviour where a double click on the Dropbox tray icon simply opens file explorer in my Dropbox root folder.

Now, with 76.4.126, it instead opens up the new "app" - which I am not going to use.
How can I either

a) Change this behaviour back to what I'm used to, or
b) Rollback to a better version?

EDIT
On another note, this new version has changed other behaviour in an undesirable way - I used to be able to double click a file in the "recent files" view in the tray to open the file up in the file explorer, with the file selected. This is ALSO no longer the case. How do I revert this change?

EDIT 2:
Alright, I found out how to change it back to use file explorer instead. That's good.
Now, how do I do the same for recent files behaviour?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

How did you figure it out?  I loved the old way better too!

Lisa

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

@JeffJ wrote:

Alright, I found out how to change it back to use file explorer instead. That's good.

Could you please share how you did this? After many years of double clicking the dropbox icon, it's so frustrating not going straight to file explorer anymore!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

1: Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar

2: Click your profile picture or initials in the top right of the small window.

3: Click Preferences

4: From the General tab, for the option “Open folders in”, choose Finder

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey peeps, 

Just as @JeffJ said, if you don’t want to use the new file browser, you can change your Dropbox preferences to open Finder or File Explorer instead of the new file browser:
  1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar.
  2. Go to your profile picture or initials in the upper right corner.
  3. Select Preferences….
  4. Click the drop-down next to Open folders in: and choose Finder or File Explorer.
@JeffJ, as per your query regarding the Recents tab, by double-clicking a file, the relevant third party app should open for you to preview and edit the file you selected. 

However, if you only want to see it in the relevant path in your Dropbox folder:
  • Click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your computer’s clock. 
  • Locate the file in question in your Recents tab and hover over it. 
  • Click the ellipsis (…) button that you see on the right-hand side of the folder. 
  • At the bottom of the drop-down menu, select the option to Open in Finder. 
I hope this helps to some extent, but please let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I've already discovered the solution of clicking the ellipsis (...) as instructed, but that is so much more inefficient and takes longer time and more clicks for me. How can I revert back to the old behaviour?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

My choices are "Dropbox" and "Explorer" will "Explorer" work like "Finder" if I choose that?

Thank you!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

It DID work. Thank you for explaining this!

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?