cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: How to change back to the old Dropbox Desktop design

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @haughtyadvocate, I hope you're well today!

Since you installed the "Dropbox for S mode" app, it seems that your device is currently running in S mode. You can find out more info about S mode here.

Since the S mode app is more like the mobile version of the app, it doesn't have the same settings as the desktop app for computers does.

If you want to have the desktop app sync your files to your device, then you would need to switch out of S mode first. Then you should be able to install or run the desktop app and see the Dropbox icon in your system tray.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Just take me to my file explorer

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I agree that this is a super-nuisance to have foisted on the users.  Better to offer a new way of doing thing the one can opt into. The new interface is nothing but confusion at first glance.  I have no interest in learning anything about it.  But for those who do want to learn about what new cools stuff it might offer, then give them a link to a 60 second introduction video to have a quick look.

Highlighted

Re: Just take me to my file explorer

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks for this!  (Top google search result for fixing this too - only took me 3min from problem to fixed - Cheers!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I agree--it stinks.  I just want to have access to my files and use them--not have them kidnapped by some highly complicated mechanism that appears to be designed to make me feel like a subaltern.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @mtmndzp, thanks for reaching out to us here!

While you can navigate to the Dropbox folder from your File Explorer/Finder window and continue as before, you can also change the default to not use the new additional desktop app interface.

Just in case you didn't see the steps to achieve this, you can check out the accepted solution in this thread or Lusil's steps here for a little more detail.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Just adding a voice to the chorus to change the system tray app back to a plainer use, or have such an option. A single click of the system tray icon opens the unwanted app, though I do have file explorer set as the default. Same with a right-click. I'd love to be able to click on the icon and open file explorer directly, or right-click and open. Not having the option of skipping the dedicated app is a real bummer. And given I pay for the service, being able to turn off aspects I find complicating my use of the product doesn't seem like a big ask.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining the topic @Bo R.2!

It sounds like you might have the new desktop app pinned to your task bar, which would indeed open the new app when clicked. In this case, you can right click the icon and choose to "unpin" as this will only open the new app.

If you have the settings to use the File Explorer by default, you can open the Dropbox folder by clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray (near the clock and WiFi) and then the folder icon at the top of the small window.

Another option could be to add a shortcut to your Dropbox folder on your desktop.

You can continue using the desktop app without using the new additional interface if you prefer not to, so let me know if you have any other questions or thoughts to share on this.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I do have file explore selected as the preference, but when I right-click or single-click on the icon, what I get is this:

2020-04-15_07h49_03.png

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @Bo R.2

This is actually part of the Dropbox icon and was there previously too, it's just had a bit of a makeover recently. It's not part of the new desktop app interface but was re-vamped around the same time.

If you click the folder icon in the top right corner, this will take you directly to your Dropbox folder in your File Explorer. Having said that, I do understand that you'd like a faster and more direct way to access the Dropbox folder.

I've made a note of your feedback on this and would like to thank you for the time you took to share this with us! 

If there's anything else that I can help with, or any other feedback about the new look of the Dropbox icon, please feel free to give me another nudge here.

Thanks!

Daphne

Highlighted

Re: I dislike the new format and wish to switch back to the former.

Helpful | Level 5

When I click on my initials in the top right corner, no menu is displayed so I can't click on preferences. Where do I find this and save that preference? I'm accessing dropbox on a desktop with Windows 10.

I absolutely HATE the new format, it is cumbersome and awkward to use.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?