cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I set which folder a third party app can access?

How can I set which folder a third party app can access?

DanaT
Explorer | Level 3

I woüld like to add a third party app access for data to be downloaded to a appropriate file in my Dropbox. However this company does not have preferences options that I can set for a specific file. I am told by the company they would on,y be downloading the pertanant info. But I am concerned that someone would have access to any and all of my files.

Why doesn't Dropbox provide me the ability to set preferences for third party apps?

3 Replies 3

Re: Third party access

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @DanaT, thanks for posting today!

Just to clarify, are you referring to folder instead of a file? Additionally, is this an app that has connected to your Dropbox account? If so, these settings are controlled by the app developers themselves, and can't be changed by the user or Dropbox.

If I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know more detail!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DanaT
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, a folder. And yes, it's an app that I am using to create forms and such.

So if access is controlled by the third party app, does this present a potential security issue with my other folders? It appears they have the ability to not simply send files to my folder/s, but also view, delete, move, etc. However I'm told they simply add the files I want saved to there.

Rich
Super User II

When a developer creates a new application within Dropbox, they choose between App folder access or Full Dropbox access. Applications that have app folder access are limited to a single folder within the Apps folder in your Dropbox account. Applications that have full Dropbox access have, well, full access to your Dropbox. Whether or not you trust these applications and developers to behave is up to you.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?