cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I start the actual dropbox app in Windows 10 / not launching

How can I start the actual dropbox app in Windows 10 / not launching

Minaz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have the latest version of dropbox, and I have a dropbox folder on my Windows 10 PC. It is syncing normally. However, I want to access the actual dropbox app in order to change the sync folder location. The problem is I cannot find a way to actually launch the app. There is a dropbox icon on my taskbar, but when I click it, it simply opens my dropbox sync folder on my PC (in Windows Explorer). Same thing when I try launching dropbox from the start menu. It just opens the folder. Dropbox is syncing the files just fine, but I want to actually access the app interface not the folder in explorer.

I know the general instructions say to click on the icon then click on your avatar and select preferences, but no such thing happens when I click on the icon in my taskbar (or in the start menu) - it simply opens Windows file explorer with my dropbox directory selected.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

@Minaz Yes, it should open the Dropbox app window on single click. What happens when you hold the control-key and click the icon?

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

You can change the Dropbox sync location from the settings: click the Dropbox icon in the taskbar → click the profile icon → select Preferences. 

Screenshot 2021-09-26 at 4.12.52 PM.png

Go to the sync tab and Move your Dropbox folder to new location.

Minaz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As I have mentioned, the whole problem is that my dropbox app is not launching so there is no profile icon. When I click the taskbar icon, it launches Windows Explorer.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You need to change the preferences within the Dropbox app to tell it to open the app and not Explorer. 

It gives you the option to change it on the 'General' tab

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Minaz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Mark,

Since I am unable to launch my dropbox app in the first place, is there a way to change the preferences to set it to launch the app without being able to launch the app? I mean if I were able to launch the app in the first place I wouldn't need to set it in the preferences. The whole issue is that I can't get it to launch the app, so I cannot set anything within the app. When I launch dropbox, I only get the explorer. I need to get from there to the app in order to set preferences, so I am hoping someone can help me with finding a way to open the app.

Thanks!

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

@Minaz Did you single (right or left) click the taskbar icon? In my case, only double click opens explorer window. 

Minaz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Elixir So actually, when I double click, it also launches Windows Explorer. When I single click, whether it is a left or right click, it does nothing at all. Could this be the problem?

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

@Minaz Yes, it should open the Dropbox app window on single click. What happens when you hold the control-key and click the icon?

Minaz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That solved the problem. Holding CTRL allowed me to pull up the preferences menu, which I was then able to change to setup the Dropbox App. Thank you so much @Elixir 

kingletit
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem but this solution doesn't work for me. I have done an advanced reinstall (How to run an advanced reinstall of Dropbox | Dropbox Help), although some of the registry items did not appear. Installation also did not create a taskbar icon. When I add the icon and click, or CTRL-Click it, it  still opens the folder. Right clicking only shows "Dropbox" and "Uninstall" but clicking or CTRL-Clicking that also opens the folder.

(The reason I tried the reinstall was that I don't have a Masters degree in computing and so could not make any sense at all of the response I got to ticket #14152215. That ticket is closed now, however I've been in hospital following a very serious accident and so could not reply to it.) 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Daniel18 Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    swimlaps New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?