cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I stop files taking space on my PC? It says that the file will be deleted from everywhere.

How can I stop files taking space on my PC? It says that the file will be deleted from everywhere.

jmark
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. Just started yesterday. I have the same question but for PC. My use for Dropbox is primarily for storage. I don't want to sync my files on my desktop. I want to put them in Dropbox as an archive. I did a trial with a small Word doc. I "uploaded" the doc and immediately got a green synch icon at the corner of the doc on my lap top. I went to Dropbox. Said it would take two seconds to upload. That message stayed the same all along. I could see the doc from Dropbox. It seems to be in Dropbox. But when I go back to my laptop desktop and delete the file, it tells me that I will be deleting the file in Dropbox AND on my laptop. I don't want this. Ultimately I have too many files to put in dropbox such that they would take up all my hard disk space. I want to put the files in Dropbox as archival backkup. I don't want the taking up space on my hard drive. That was the whole reason I got Dropbox. Am I misunderstanding that Dropbox DOES NOT operate as a storage device?

1 Reply 1

Re: How can I stop files taking space on my PC? It says that the file will be deleted from everyw...

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello there @jmark, thanks for reaching out to us here!

The desktop app is used to sync your files, so any action you take on the file on your computer or online, will sync to devices connected to Dropbox. This includes deletions.

Instead of deleting the file, you can use Smart Sync or selective sync to free up space on your computer.

Using Smart Sync, allows you to see the file/folder structure of your Dropbox account, but the files won't take space on your computer. Check out more on this here.

Selective sync is a little different, in that you can choose which folders in Dropbox sync to your devices. You can find more info on this feature here.

Let me know if you have any questions about this!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?