cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I switch off the checkmark icon?

How can I switch off the checkmark icon?

David G.133
New member | Level 2

HOW DO YOU TURN OFF THE ICON CHECKMARK

25 Replies 25

alexismac47
New member | Level 2

The big green checkmark makes it impossible to see photo thumbnails which I (and I'm sure other users) need in their cloud storage. Have there been any updates to this issue? Even making the green check marks much smaller would work. Otherwise, I'm going to have to use a different solution for media files such as photos.

bounette
Helpful | Level 6

Hey Drobox Team, 

Any new on this issue, 

Thank you !

JerSpi
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone!

The green check mark on every file icon is, of course, not a required, critical or even necessary part of the program.  I know this because I've now gotten rid of it.  Dropbox still works - Amazing!  The great thing is, Dropbox will still tell me if something *isn't* synced, which is actually a really useful shell overlay to have in place.

I'm also not going out on too much of a limb to say that the Dropbox reps on this thread who are feigning confusion of offering to pass this off to the devs as a new feature suggestion are being disingenuous.  Dropbox knows a significant minority of their users really dislike the green check.  Don't expect them to add disabling the checkmarks to their "new feature" list.  They could fix it in 2 hours if they wanted to; they don't.

Fortunately, after quite a bit of searching, I've found a a way around their stubbornness.  Nirsoft has a free tool called ShellExView; download it and you can disable the synced file green check shell overlay icon.  It will show up as DropboxExt1 Class in the list.  You may need to do this after every update.

Oiii
New member | Level 2

@David G.133 wrote:

HOW DO YOU TURN OFF THE ICON CHECKMARK

mh54
New member | Level 2

@JerSpi : Thanks for the tip :wink:

JB35
New member | Level 2

I also hate the green check marks. They are just visual noise and very distracting. You used to be able to just rename the icon files and they'd go away, but apparently Dropbox did something to prevent that work around, which is just infuriating.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JB35 New member | Level 2
    mh54 New member | Level 2
    Oiii New member | Level 2
    JerSpi New member | Level 2
    bounette Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?