Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I sync both business and personal Dropbox accounts to my desktop?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've had a personal account for years - connected to the dropbox desktop app.  My company recently started using dropbox for business.  How can I get a desktop app to connect to/sync with files on my business account.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Personal and business accounts.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @auntina,

You can connect your personal and business accounts so that you can easily switch between them and sync both to your device. They will still be treated as separate accounts but this feature makes handling your accounts much simpler!

First you will need to connect the two accounts via the web. Then, you will be able to go to your desktop app and sign into your business account so that that it syncs to your desktop. Doing this will create a second Dropbox folder named with the business team name.

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @auntina,

You can connect your personal and business accounts so that you can easily switch between them and sync both to your device. They will still be treated as separate accounts but this feature makes handling your accounts much simpler!

First you will need to connect the two accounts via the web. Then, you will be able to go to your desktop app and sign into your business account so that that it syncs to your desktop. Doing this will create a second Dropbox folder named with the business team name.

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

If your company is using a Dropbox Business account, you can connect your personal and business accounts and then sync both of them to your computer.

Highlighted

Personal and Business accounts on same desktop

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been using dropbox personal for over 5 years.  I am now connected with a company that uses dropbox business.  I have now connected my 2 accounts, but the files from dropbox business do not show up on my desktop.  It says once the accounts are connected, clicek preferences under your profile.  I do not have this option under either account. It says I've updated to the newest version of dropbox.  Any idea on what I'm doing wrong?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I've followed the above instructions, and have linked my personal and business account, but it does not sync my business files to my desktop. How do I get that to happen?

Highlighted

Re: Personal and Business accounts on same desktop

Super User II
Super User II

@Katgal19 wrote:

It says once the accounts are connected, clicek preferences under your profile.  I do not have this option ...

Dropbox Preferences are found within the Dropbox app on your computer. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac), click your avatar in the upper-right corner, then you'll find Preferences on the menu that is displayed.

9b2504927134d651f122a9c0ea785c33.png

Highlighted

Drag to save files

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have opened a new business account and want to drag to move files but cant see the dropbox icon to do so.  I can see the icon from my personal one but not new business one.

Highlighted

Re: Drag to save files

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @blueovenglove, we’re here to guide you through!

I’ve moved your post here, as the advice posted above should be useful. You’d have to connect your personal & Business accounts online & on the Mac/pc you’re working on so as to access your file structure through File Explorer/ Finder. 

Please have a look at the resources Daphne posted above & feel free to touch-base here with me should you have any follow-up questions. Thanks! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

How can I sync both my personal and business account to my desktop?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi. I've had a free account for some time, which I just use for a few diaries, personal spreadsheets etc. using my personal email address.

A work colleague has just invited me (and others) to share his dropbox for a project we are collaborating on. He's invited me via my work email address.

I'm on a Mac running OS 10.15.1 Catalina. I have the desktop application installed for my personal dropbox.

For this business  dropbox, do i download the Dropbox app again? Or am i going to have to sign out of dropbox and back in every time I want to look in the 'other' dropbox?

Highlighted

Re: Two accounts

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @P_Ri, thanks for reaching out to us here!

If you have a personal and business account, you can sync both of them to the same desktop app installation.

You'll first need to "connect" the accounts and then you'll be able to link your business account to the desktop app. You can check out all the steps to do this from here.

Let me know if you have any other questions-  thanks!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?