cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How can I turn off the notification sound and popup that a file has been added or deleted?

How can I turn off the notification sound and popup that a file has been added or deleted?

Steve B.19
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When someone sharing my Dropbox adds or deletes a file I get a tone and popup that interrupts what I'm working on.  It's particularly annoying when I'm putting on a presentation.  How can I turn this feature off?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox doesn't have notification sounds of its own. It uses the notification system of your operating system. It sends a notification to your OS, and your OS determines how to display it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jonathan O.10
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Steve,

These notifications can be turned on/off by following the instructions listed in our Help Center:

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/34

Best regards,

Andreas

Oz S.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's extremely frustrating to me to get a new phone and spend the next week digging around, searching for ways to opt OUT of all this stuff.

Think about he consumer. If the experience was only Dropbox, it wouldn't be a problem. But when it's:

Dropbox

Facebook

Messenger

Gmail

Yelp

Google Hangouts

Snapchat

Lyft

Calendar

Twitter

and on an on ... all these frikken apps and their unwanted notifications; and I'm faced with the hassle of turning all of this crap OFF rather than on.

Text messages and phone calls are the ONLY alerts that I want on. THE ONLY ONES.

cneumann52
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've had DropBox for years and this just started happening.   I'm running Windows 7 Professional.  I've narrowed it down to DropBox.  A four tone sound plays when a file sync completes for an add or deletion of a file.   If I turn off sync it doesn't play until I turn sync back on.  I've tried turning off notifications in DropBox settings, that doesn't help.  The notifications sound in Windows is not the one that' being played.   Wierd.

a_moral
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm having the exact opposite problem: I'm looking for a way to enable a sound notification for updated (synched) files (windows 7)! if you found a way to turn yours off, let me know so I can reverse it XD thx!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Dropbox doesn't have notification sounds of its own. It uses the notification system of your operating system. It sends a notification to your OS, and your OS determines how to display it.

a_moral
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, I've noticed the absence of notification sounds in the dropbox software for years now even though ppl have been asking for them and used 3rd party software like growl to walk around this issue. Yet some users seem to have trouble with their OS sending out notifications for dropbox and as I've said, I'd be really interested in the original users post since they were using Win7 and I personally can't figure it out. 

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Need more support?