cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I upload a large folder to my account?

How can I upload a large folder to my account?

voceval
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox Newbie Q:  All I want to do is upload a (very large) Word folder that contains many other folders, within folders.  DB seems only to upload files.  Do I have to open each folder, or is there a feature which will open all designated folders, subfolders, etc, and save all contents?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: files vs. folders

Rich
Super User II

Do I understand correctly that a file or folder in the "drop box" directory does not actually reside on my computer, but rather is in the "cloud"?

That's incorrect. Dropbox is just a folder on your computer, like any other. Anything you place in the Dropbox folder exists on your local computer and is synced to your account online. The idea is that you move your files into the Dropbox folder, and then work on them from there. Any changes to the files will sync in real-time to your account online.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

Download and install the Dropbox client. Move your folder into the Dropbox folder that is created on your computer and it will sync to your account online.

Note, installing the Dropbox client will sync all the files in your account to your computer. If you do not want that, you can use Selective Sync to select which folders will or will not sync to your computer.

voceval
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for your help. I now have the (large) file on the drop box. However, when I tried to copy the folder, as directed, it MOVED it. Do I understand correctly that a file or folder in the "drop box" directory does not actually reside on my computer, but rather is in the "cloud"? I would prefer a system that copies my files (encrypted) to the drop box (cloud), then updates the drop box, every day (or more often). So I copied the file back to my computer. My question: Do the files I access in the "drop box" directory reside on my computer or in the "cloud"?

Rich
Super User II

Do I understand correctly that a file or folder in the "drop box" directory does not actually reside on my computer, but rather is in the "cloud"?

That's incorrect. Dropbox is just a folder on your computer, like any other. Anything you place in the Dropbox folder exists on your local computer and is synced to your account online. The idea is that you move your files into the Dropbox folder, and then work on them from there. Any changes to the files will sync in real-time to your account online.

my drop box folder on desktop has 143 GB in it. My harddrive has only 500 GB. I tried to move the

NAN S.2
New member | Level 2

I tried to move the DB folder to my external hard drive.  but a message came up saying that would not work as  DB wouldn't know where the files were.   I need more HD space.  I thought my files were stored in the DB cloud and I could move my folder to my external HD and delete the files in the folder and then I would have 143 GB more space on my hard drive.  why are my scratch disks full?

I need some help.    I can't use any of my programs (photoshop or LR) because my scratch disks are full!  Thank you!

Re: my drop box folder on desktop has 143 GB in it. My harddrive has only 500 GB. I tried to move

Zed
Dropboxer
Hello,

When you install the Dropbox app on your computer and sign in to your account, a Dropbox folder is created on your computer linked to your account.

If you want to move that folder to another location safely, you will need to move the Dropbox folder to another location

Also you can check out Selective Sync, a feature of the Dropbox desktop application that allows you to select only the folders you want to be synced to your computer.

Hope this helps and covers your questions!

PS : For future reference, in case you want to delete the folder from your computer and those changes not reflect to the website, you will need to unlink the Dropbox folder first.

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zed Dropboxer
    NAN S.2 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    voceval Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?