cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete duplicate Dropbox folder

How do I delete duplicate Dropbox folder

gbm
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I upgraded my wife from old Vista laptop to new Win10 laptop. 

At first, I copied al her user folders to the new machine. This included her Dropbox folder. I later installed Dropbox. This downloaded all her Dropbox folders and files. This dropbox folder appears to be outside of her User folder. So we have Dropbox inside and outside the user folder. 

I saved a file to the Dropbox folder inside her user folder and it showed up there. But it did not show up in the other Dropbox folder.

I would like to delete one of these Dropbox folders, but don't want to end up with all the files deleted (they are same files in both folders).

So, what is best plan? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @gbm and @brianchew,

What @Pikamander2 has stated is correct.

I can also suggest to check which is the actual syncing folder on your computer by following these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click on your initials/profile pic
  3. Click on "Preferences"
  4. Click on the "Sync" tab 

In the "Dropbox folder location" section, you should be able to see the location of the Dropbox folder.

Move or copy the files you want on that folder and then delete the unwanted one.

I hope this helps!

Mod note: edited to update steps [last update 2023]

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution
Hi gbm,

Before deleting anything, be sure to back up all of your files somewhere else, such as to a flash drive.

The folder that the Dropbox program uses is normally located at C:\Users\Username\Dropbox. That's the folder that you should keep.

The other folder isn't being synchronized by Dropbox, so it's effectively just a normal folder on your computer. That's the one that you should be able to delete.

If you want to be extra sure, can you please tell us the file path of the two folders?

gbm
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

After  checking out the computer, it seems reason for there appearing to be two instances of Dropbox, was because of the way Windows 10 lists folder in File Explorer. It is something like this:

> Quick Access

v  Desktop

>Dropbox

>Onedrive

>Username

>This PC

> Libaries

> Network

> Recycle Bin

then list of actual folders on users Desktop

Username expands to:

>Desktop

>Documents

>Downloads

>Dropbox

>etc

Both instances of Drop box point to C:\users\Username

This all works. However, on my Win7 laptop, the first instance of Dropbox does not appear.  Not sure why it is there. I have not used Win 10 much, so maybe that is the problem 😉

Due to way I transferred my wife's stuff, I had a duplicate of all the stuff on Dropbox in her Documents file. I have deleted that. 

brianchew
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Pikamander2, i had the same issue. I reinstalled the DB software and it started an add'l DB file on my computer giving me two. So I went to the dropbox icon, right clicked to settings and change the sync dropbox location. That removed all my dropbox files and relocated them to a new location that I set. But now I have the other db file still there and it has the DB logo on it. infact, both of those folder locations have the db logo. When I try to delete the old one it says I do nto have the permissions to do so. how do i get rid of this other file?

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @gbm and @brianchew,

What @Pikamander2 has stated is correct.

I can also suggest to check which is the actual syncing folder on your computer by following these steps:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click on your initials/profile pic
  3. Click on "Preferences"
  4. Click on the "Sync" tab 

In the "Dropbox folder location" section, you should be able to see the location of the Dropbox folder.

Move or copy the files you want on that folder and then delete the unwanted one.

I hope this helps!

Mod note: edited to update steps [last update 2023]

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ralph6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had similar issue with my original Dropbox system folder showing in 2 locations (Desktop and under Users).  These appear to be the same logical System folder based on its Properties/Location.  I could not delete the Dropbox folder showing under the Desktop folder, even after unlinking my Dropbox account.  This appears to be a Windows phantom folder that doesn't really exist in two places.  Is it just a nuisance and it's impractical to remove the duplicate Dropbox entry?

Rxn
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have multiple Dropbox applications on my computer with different folders - due to my stupidity when moving to new computers.

How do I integrate them into a single Dropbox application?

Rxn
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

These are not phantom folders.  They have different files.  As well, these occur on 3 computers, compounding the problem.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Rxn; welcome to our Community!

Could you please send me a screenshot of how this looks like on your computer(s) so I can advise further?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Rxn
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Walter

Thank you.  Attached is a PowerPoint of the screen showing 5 instances of Dropbox highlighted in red.

Rick

Dropbox Conundrum.gif

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rxn Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?