cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I delete duplicate Dropbox folder

How do I delete duplicate Dropbox folder

gbm
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I upgraded my wife from old Vista laptop to new Win10 laptop. 

At first, I copied al her user folders to the new machine. This included her Dropbox folder. I later installed Dropbox. This downloaded all her Dropbox folders and files. This dropbox folder appears to be outside of her User folder. So we have Dropbox inside and outside the user folder. 

I saved a file to the Dropbox folder inside her user folder and it showed up there. But it did not show up in the other Dropbox folder.

I would like to delete one of these Dropbox folders, but don't want to end up with all the files deleted (they are same files in both folders).

So, what is best plan? 

12 Replies 12

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rxn, thanks for the screenshots!

The desktop and taskbar icons are shortcuts for opening the Dropbox app itself on your computer. They would be for the same app installation, they're just different entry points.

Also, it seems that the NYU Dropbox is the folder that's currently syncing with the desktop app. 

The "Dropbox" and "Dropbox (old)" folders appear to be in a backup folder on the K drive. Were these copies of the folder that were made during a backup perhaps?

If you check within the two folders mentioned above, have they been modified recently?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rxn
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi

Thank you. 

Yes, the K drive was established when the computer crashed.  So it was - at that time 6 months ago - created on an external drive. 

The K drive is now the location where all my files are current.  The K drive does not appear to link to the other Dropboxes.  As well, I do not know how to access it remotely.

Rick

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

In that case, you could try moving your Dropbox folder to point to your K drive, Rick. 

To make sure you get this right though, you can unlink your account through the app's preferences, and from there, upon re-linking it, choose your K drive from the 'Advanced Setup' option to be the location of your Dropbox folder. 

If your old Dropbox folder was added, for example, to: K:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose K:\Desktop and the client (i.e. the desktop application) will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Please do note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder or on the web interface while the folder was "offline" will generate conflicted copies

Keep us posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rxn Explorer | Level 3
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?