cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I find out what devices are linked to my account?

Highlighted

How do I find out what devices are linked to my account?

New member | Level 2

When I try to install the desk top app I get a message that I am trying to install dropbox on too many devices.  As far as I know I don't have dropbox installed anywhere.  How can I find out where dropbox thinks it is installed.  This worries me as I only access dropbox on my desktop.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Tom K wrote:

... I get a message that I am trying to install dropbox on too many devices. ...  How can I find out where dropbox thinks it is installed.  ...

Hi @Tom K,

You should be able see all devices on the message you have got. You have been asked to which device(s) be unlink with. 😉 Alternatively, you can see all currently connected devices on www.dropbox.com/devices and unlink whatever you want using the trash icon on every link's line.

@Tom K wrote:

...  This worries me as I only access dropbox on my desktop.

🙂 Don't worry. So called device is NOT actually device (seems, dropbox lapsus), but a connection setup on particular device. If you haven't disconnected/unlink a device before reinstall, for example, on the new install you create a new link without removing the old. So, one device could get registered multiple times! If I have to bet, you just met the same, but you will make this sure. Whatever is, just remove the link(s) not in use.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Tom K wrote:

... I get a message that I am trying to install dropbox on too many devices. ...  How can I find out where dropbox thinks it is installed.  ...

Hi @Tom K,

You should be able see all devices on the message you have got. You have been asked to which device(s) be unlink with. 😉 Alternatively, you can see all currently connected devices on www.dropbox.com/devices and unlink whatever you want using the trash icon on every link's line.

@Tom K wrote:

...  This worries me as I only access dropbox on my desktop.

🙂 Don't worry. So called device is NOT actually device (seems, dropbox lapsus), but a connection setup on particular device. If you haven't disconnected/unlink a device before reinstall, for example, on the new install you create a new link without removing the old. So, one device could get registered multiple times! If I have to bet, you just met the same, but you will make this sure. Whatever is, just remove the link(s) not in use.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi ,

You were correct.  Did the cleanup and all is OK again.  thanks for your help.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?