cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I open PDF files from Dropbox on Android devices?

How do I open PDF files from Dropbox on Android devices?

Giannis F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello 🙂

There is a problem with PDF files. They do not open when downloading in android devices 😞

The dropbox link is ?dl=1

There isn't any problem when downloading in Desktop PC and Apple iOS, there is problem only in Android.

Look here for the PDF file as an example: https://www.openbook.gr/se-mia-olympia-traveller-79/

There is nothing wrong with tha PDF files. If I download the same files from e.g. Gmail to my Android devices they open normally !

Can you please check it?

28 Replies 28

Giannis F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I really apreciate your help Walter.

Is there anything that we can do for users that have Chrome in their devices?

🙂

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Well, at this point, as this issue seems to be affecting only Chrome, I would suggest using a different browser whatsoever. 

Another thing you could try is clearing your browser's cache, running an incognito instance or even restoring the browser to its default settings. 

Obviously switching browsers is the best course of action here yet this would be up to them. 

If you have any more Dropbox questions, please let me know Giannis. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

FrustratedTeach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This problem happens with opening a shared PDF link from Gmail on an Android device as well. It is incredibly frustrating that Dropbox doesn't seem to be compatible with Google and Androids. Works perfectly fine on a desktop, but try to open it on an Android through the Gmail app or a browser is impossible. Both my students and I have the problem. Instead of walking them through the tech of this all, I'm learning that it's just easier to share their course material through another sharing site. It's unfortunate that Dropbox's suggested solution is to just "use a different browser" when there is a need for Dropbox to update the coding in their shared files, especially since I like Dropbox otherwise. 

kiralyanda
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a similar problem, but I'm using the official Dropbox addon for Gmail, so modifying the URL parameter isn't an option. The shared files can not be opened in Gmail for Android. Tested in various devices and the message is the same: "Cannot display PDF (filename.pdf is of invalid format)". The file itself is OK, can be opened on all devices if sending as attachment and also OK on a desktop computer. (BTW what grammar is this "something is of invalid"? Why not just "something is invalid"? Or is it a different meaning?)

The addon generates a "?dl=0" URL and because I'm curious I tested the link without the addon. The result is same: can't open. Tried with "?dl=1", same result with a little different error message: "Cannot display PDF (filename.pdf cannot be opened)"

Obviously I doesn't open my emails and also usually doesn't receive Dropbox files this way, so I'm not sure if this method is broken all the time or it's a new bug.

What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance,
András.

FrustratedTeach
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Dropbox never replied to my inquiry, so I ended up moving all my files to Google Drive and sharing through there. I just have a floating account here now.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kiralyanda,

To look into this a bit further, would you mind if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community profile? Otherwise, if you already have a ticket open with our Support team for this, then please let me know the ticket reference number (eg. #1234567) so that I can follow up there.

Let me know - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tondija
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
same problem here, drobox link...
?dl=0
wont open in chrome
... I am moving to Drive, its a shame

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @tondija!

Would you mind letting us know if you have the same issue if you try and open the links within another web browser on your mobile? 

You can download another web browser for free from the app store if you don't already have one.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tondija
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
oppening dropbox link by pressing on it from gmail... link to Chrome... wont work,
but copying url and pasting it to chrome works fine
?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1u2rqaoldn0e95/BBBB-Kern-Buch17x24-10.pdf?dl=0

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hmmm, that's interesting @tondija. :thinking:

When you simply tap the link in the email, do you get an error message when trying to open it in Chrome? If so, can you send a screenshot of the error?

Also, when you open the link, can you choose the "desktop version" of the website to see if this helps when opening the link again directly from the email?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kiralyanda New member | Level 2
    tondija Explorer | Level 4
    desi2p New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    FloMan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?