cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error Message when attempting to uninstall

How do I remove Dropbox from my Mac if I get an error message when attempting to uninstall?

Heather G.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am trying to delete the Dropbox app from my Mac, but it gives me an error message saying 'The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its plugins are in use', even after closing all other open applications. What could these plugins be and how can I stop them from being in use?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Piet Hein C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem:
Open Activity Monitor (search for it with spotlight) and force quit the Dropbox process (I used the searchbox on the right to find it)
After that I could delete the application

View solution in original post

48 Replies 48

Glen Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem...

Prateek T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

same issue here

Piet Hein C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had the same problem:
Open Activity Monitor (search for it with spotlight) and force quit the Dropbox process (I used the searchbox on the right to find it)
After that I could delete the application

Glen Y.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Piet Hein C. Your solution worked perfectly! Thanks!

Rajat G.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am using Yosemite. I first quit Dropbox from the Menubar but could not Trash Dropbox from my Applications folder as certain plug ins were functioning. So, I opened Activity monitor and found that Dropbox Finder Integration was still working.I could not force quit it from Activity Monitor. So I opened Dropbox again and clicked on the Dropbox Icon on the menubar and opened Preferences to disable Dropbox Finder integration and two other plug ins. After that I could trash Dropbox from Applications seamlessly.

Ivan L.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The answer from Piet Hein C. worked perfectly. Thanks! 🙂

Joshua A.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Piet Hein C.,
I love you with my whole heart.

Caryn R.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank Goddess!! I was getting really frustrated with this. I will not be reinstalling Dropbox - ever! OneDrive is better anyway

Boris K.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rajat G. works for Yosemite (10.10),I guess the other suggestions were from older OS X systems. I also had to unlink my computer in order to get the plugin error to disappear.

Need more support?