cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove Dropbox from my Mac if I get an error message when attempting to uninstall?

How do I remove Dropbox from my Mac if I get an error message when attempting to uninstall?

Heather G.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am trying to delete the Dropbox app from my Mac, but it gives me an error message saying 'The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its plugins are in use', even after closing all other open applications. What could these plugins be and how can I stop them from being in use?

Thanks

48 Replies 48

Amel D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you Piet Hein C.!

Andre Z.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Piet Hein C.,

Thank you!

Jim K.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Guys its simple, right click on Dropbox icon in your application folder, choose (Show Package Content) Delete all then delete the dropbox icon. 

Eric S.62
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I don't even recall installing Dropbox on an old 2007 MacBook, but the way I deleted it was to change a setting in Finder Preferences.  I set it to Empty Trash Securely.  Emptying then warned me that everything would be permanently erased, and the app went away peacefully.

AdolfoKnows
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I also was getting an error message saying that Dropbox could not be deleted because a plugin or extension was still running. I solved it by going to SYSTEM PREFERENCES --> EXTENSIONS --> ALL. I was able to find the dropbox extension there, unmark it to disable it, and then delete the Dropbox App without any problems. 

Short answer: Go to your mac's SYSTEM PREFERENCES --> EXTENSIONS --> ALL --> Unmark the Dropbox extension & then go to your mac's Finder --> right click Dropbox App--> Move to Trash

Elie1245
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks for this! I was able to close out the app within Activity Monitor but when I try to delete it now I get the message "The item “Dropbox” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its extensions are in use." Can you help with how to fix this?

ChrisL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Actually, I had to go to Activity Monitor and select the disk tab.  There, I had to force stop "Dropbox Finder integration". 

Stopping the process itself was not enough.

gingingina
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did a search for "activity monitor"  and there were not results.  does everyone have activity monitor? 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It's not an application that someone will have. It's a utility on Mac computers, found in the Utilities folder under Applications.

This is an old thread and likely no longer relevant. Please start a new thread and describe the problem that you're having. This thread is being closed.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Eric S.62 New member | Level 1
    Jim K.9 New member | Level 1
    Andre Z.1 New member | Level 1
    Amel D. New member | Level 1
    Duff W. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?