cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the Windows 10 file explorer?

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the Windows 10 file explorer?

Jeremy C.3
New member | Level 1

Since upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10, there is a Dropbox icon in the Windows file explorer navigation pane.  I already have a link to Dropbox and other cloud-storage options in the Quick links section of the file explorer, so I don't need this extra icon!

How do I remove the Dropbox icon from the navigation pane?  And to be clear,  I don't mean the quick-link, I mean the stand-alone 'system-type' icon in the navigation area.

37 Replies 37

Joel W.14
New member | Level 1

Answer to Alexis G:

What is it that you don't understand? He clearly states that he doesn't want the icon and plenty of other cloud services manage to operate on the OS without adding an icon in the navigation pane. There's simply not much else to the matter, the navigation pane is customizable and it should be. Dropbox should write their code so that there is an easy way of getting rid of their icon in the navigation pane if the user wants to do that. I prefer having the Dropbox icon in Quick Start, right next to Google Drive, and that the icon itself is not expandable. For me the Dropbox menu is often expanded when I open File Explorer and I have to scroll through hundreds of folders to even close it. I don't like it being that way, and I should be able to change it.

Your last post is just plain ridiculous. Whether Microsoft loves Dropbox or not they shouldn't allow Dropbox to force their icon upon us like this. But Dropbox is of course ultimately responsibly for this and should of course immediately give us users an option to get rid of the navigation pane-icon.

Alexis G.1
Super User

Dropbox should write their code so that there is an easy way of getting rid of their icon in the navigation pane if the user wants to do that.

You are free to request new features and bug fixes at Dropbox Support

Your last post is just plain ridiculous. Whether Microsoft loves Dropbox or not they shouldn't allow Dropbox to force their icon upon us like this.

This is not a problem for most people. In my case, I like this feature. Maybe this will be customizable in the future.

But Dropbox is of course ultimately responsibly for this and should of course immediately give us users an option to get rid of the navigation pane-icon.

Again. For now, it's not possible. This is an user supported forum, we are just users with some experience with the Dropbox application thanks to years of use and hardware, software / network knowledge. We are only here to share our tips, opinions, recommendations and feedback. Please be careful with your words, there is no need to insulting us for our ideas or comments. 

Joel W.14
New member | Level 1

Yes I'll be careful with my words, and you should to. I find this post quite condescening towards Jeremy C. 

"Maybe Microsoft do this with Dropbox in the new OS because is the pioneer in cloud sync. Dropbox was launched on 2007 and other big competitors were launched on 2011, 2012 and 2014.

I don't work for Dropbox, but I have 20 years on IT and for me, is the best Cloud Sync app. I usually don't pay for apps, but I pay every year for Dropbox Pro, and I'm happy with it. I'm happy in having the Icon in the navigation pane as well!

Maybe Microsoft add it to the Navigation pane because Dropbox have more than 100 millions users!"

Yes, maybe they do? And so what? You present facts like Jeremy is a 4-year-old.

Of course I don't expect a user supported forum to do anything about this. I'm just expressing my thoughts about this matter.

I hope the feature will be customizable in the future, then it's all fine and both of us will be happy.

Edy G.
New member | Level 1

This is somewhat ridiculous. I've disabled OneDrive in Windows 10 because I don't use it and I don't want to see the folder in the Explorer (I used the Group Policy solution in Win10 Pro).

Now Dropbox does exactly the same, forcing me to swallow the Dropbox folder in the explorer without any chance to remove it from there. I'm a long-standing Dropbox user, but this really disappointing.

With Win10 Microsoft's policy is ignoring their users and forcing them to adopt anything thrown at them. Is Dropbox now doing the same? Why there's not an option of showing/hiding the Dropbox folder?

I wouldn't like to move to a different solution, but I'll do if I feel Dropbox is also just forcing users to do whatever they want.

Edy G.
New member | Level 1

Let me add that the forced Drobpox folder is very intrusive to me. It's like if you purchase a Samsung TV, and then Samsung forces you to have a big "SAMSUNG" sign in all and every rooms in your home. How would you feel about that?

Edy G.
New member | Level 1

I've finally removed the icon by applying the registry fix:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/get-rid-of-default-cloud-service-icons-in-file-explorer

I then added a "Deny" "modify value" permission to my own user in that registry key.

This should be an user-configurable option.

Andy a.2
New member | Level 2

I have the same issues as everyone else here. Why do I want a dropbox application link in windows explorer? That should be my choice.

Its made worse by the fact that I have multiple business accounts I have been given access to and it seems random which one's name is showing in explorer. When I sign in/out to move accounst explorer does not update either

Its bad enough I that drop box adds stupid badges to MS office but forcing the application linbk into explorer is realy annoying.

shaidmasood1
Explorer | Level 3

The icon i need to evacuate are not in the quick access area. The quick access section is at the best I need to expel icon from the base Desktop section. My desktop folder have nothing as i mentioned above and in this photo so the icon ought not show up in the route sheet. Yes you may get help with file explorer in windows 10 to follow this site because i have personally good experince with it.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Andy a.2 New member | Level 2
    Edy G. New member | Level 1
    Joel W.14 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?