rename the root folder

please!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How do I rename the root folder?

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox does not support* renaming the root Dropbox folder to anything other than "Dropbox." The Dropbox client itself will rename the folder if you link a Business account, but that's it.

* That's not to say that it's isn't possible, using symlinks or possibly a third-party utility to sync a folder other than Dropbox, but it is not supported and prone to sync problems.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Dropbox does not support* renaming the root Dropbox folder to anything other than "Dropbox." The Dropbox client itself will rename the folder if you link a Business account, but that's it.

* That's not to say that it's isn't possible, using symlinks or possibly a third-party utility to sync a folder other than Dropbox, but it is not supported and prone to sync problems.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Is it just me, or does that sound just plain nuts? Why in this day and age is a specific name ever important? I'm finding it hard to imagine why this is true. No disrespect intended, but honestly, it makes me wonder what else the R&D team hasn't been able to figure out...

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

On top of that, there is a real necessity of renaming the business account root folder name from something like "Dropbox (Really screwing me up affiliation)". I work in academic and need to write code in a small scale and dropbox is a convenient alternative of version control system for a single developer. Unfortunately, the bracket and space in the root folder (especially bracket) simply breaks many stuffs. For example, I can't run my clojure code without JVM complaining the bracket in the root folder 9 out of 10 times. I thought business account was a good deal and I was a big fan of Dropbox since its beginning. I have a free personal account and upgraded to a business account once I realize my university offers that. Dropbox still has best support among all platforms and it is important to me since I use Linux extensively. But it is really sad that the bracket thing is really a deal breaker. I probably won't renew my account next year and will reflect that to the school IT as this is not resolved. If automatic syncing is not working across all platforms (I see that there is some workaround of the bracket thing for Windows, but not so much for Linux and Mac), I would rather use Google drive instead since I am paying google for my huge email inbox anyway. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?