cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I rename the root folder?

How do I rename the root folder?

Stephen G.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently joined Dropbox for Business on a trial basis. As part of the process, it forcefully renames your Dropbox folder to "Dropbox (Personal)". I have since decided not to use Dropbox for Business. Although I now only have one dropbox folder, it is still called "Dropbox (Personal)" - it did not automatically change back when the accounts were unlinked.

How do I get Dropbox to change the name back?

24 Replies 24

JuhaPalomaki
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Trouble is that some development tools do not honor the links. I'm for example working with some Node projects and running into troubles with this. The tools are not using the linked name, instead they figure out the actual path on disk and use that. This is a problem, because some of these tools have problems with the parenthesis and/or spaces in the directory names. 

So far the only thing that only thing that has really worked is the good old subst command. For example:

subst p: "C:\users\juhap\Dropbox (Personal)"\proj

creates another drive P: which ponts directly to the proj folder on my Dropbox. This however is not a perfect solution, since this does not work on the Windows 10 subsystem for Linux. 

I would really appreciate if Dropbox provided a proper solution to this. Would not need to be anything complicated, just some way of setting the actual folder name to whatever user likes. 

Vieira
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The worst thing about this is that if you are sharing a project that needs compiling (like a c++ project) now all of the sudden your path name has a space character in it! Bad practice in programming of any kind. So the link might make sense in this case.

johnmac1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In all my years working with Dropbox, this is the first fail :tired_face:. The value of Dropbox as a platform has been its cross-platform friendliness. PLease please fix this!

dizern
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Guess what? It's 2019 and people still have the need to rename folders... I've been using dropbox business, so my root folder was "Dropbox (Personal)". After I switched off from business and reinstalled windows on some computers. I ended up with several computers in different cities with different folder names as new ones are installed as "Dropbox". Now I need to relink paths to footage in my software each time I use distant render machines and then change them back. It would be nice to have an automatic switch back to Dropbox or the way to rename the folder. The solution in this thread does not work as "the folder is open in another program".

anchorball
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I agree - it sucks. I've ben with dropbox over 10 years - since they started really - and they built their business on personal accounts.

Higher management must have prioritized enterpise accounts and pretty much geared all useful settings to be oriented to them instead of to everyone - which would make more sense. I would think this could be a simple category in settings. You login - go to your settings and change your name. It boggles my mind they haven't thought of or considered this. In cats it's not considerate at all really.

I just went through having them merge my account into an eneterpirse account for a company I was freelancing with - I accepted an invited to their team and next thing you know the accounts are merged - doesn'ty make sense it could happen so easily.

The setup was very easy for it to happen - and on the enterprise side - with little warning or hurdles to jump through. Howver, when I contacted support about fixing it - the admin of the company who runs the enterprise version of dropbox had to switch it. Why wouldn't dropbox enpower all of it's users to have this switch in their settings? It feels discrimanatory, not thoughtful and is downright frustrating. If all the other cloud storage systems didn't suck so much I'd definitely switch after this experience. Talkiing to supprt about this was like speaking to a brick wall. Very lame and frustrating.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

anchorball Explorer | Level 4
    dizern New member | Level 2
    johnmac1 New member | Level 2
    Vieira Explorer | Level 4
    JuhaPalomaki Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?