cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop/uninstall dropbox and return my Mac to how its was before Dropbox?

Highlighted

How do I stop/uninstall dropbox and return my Mac to how its was before Dropbox?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm not sure where to begin. All i wanted was to find a way to transfer files between two macs, my old one and my new one. (I have already completed migration, etc.) I have to process some files still on my old Mac. Anyway I remembered I still had Dropbox, which I haven't used in many years, and tried to set it up. I got messages that I could back up my Mac to Dropbox. It seemed like a good idea. Then I got messages asking me if I wanted Dropbox to TAKE CONTROL of my Mac. I said no. I let it back up my desktop and download folder. The process started backing up tens of thousands of files and taking many hours and making my Mac run very slowly. Later I  became alarmed when I tried to configure the app, DropCopy. I wanted to use my desktop as a destination. When I tried to choose desktop as my destination in the window where you choose the desktop I found that I could not access my desktop by finding the enclosing folder and I saw that the enclosing folder was Dropbox and my desktop was only displayed as an alias! My desktop could only be accessed by going through dropbox. I don't want this. I don't want my computer or files accessible only through dropbox. I found it useful in the past as a folder in which to put files but only as I direct it. I was also alarmed to see the message that removing files from dropbox would also remove them from my computer. I see in another posting that you advised uninstalling Dropbox. What does that mean? Just moving it to the trash? Do you have an app for uninstalling it? How is that done without losing my files if files removed from dropbox will also remove them from my computer. I have Time Machine and iCloud and external drives to back up my files without taking the task out of my hands. How can I release my Desktop and downloads folder from the grip of dropbox? I like having just a dropbox window shared by my two iMacs without all the backing up and extravagant features. I want my Mac back! I open my downloads folder and the files have little blue circles with the white arrows going around indicating synching. On other files I see little green dots with check marks in them. No offense, but I feel like dropbox is a virus, or an AI app that has taken control of my computer! I want my computer back! As far as I know I do not have a paid subscription to dropbox and I don't want one. A simple shared folder on the sidebar of the windows would be fine. How do I get back to that? What I would like is for you to have phone support so I would have some guidance step by step in this process. I want to get back to where I was before I allowed the synching. I want to avoid the drastic action of erasing my hard drive and backing it up from Time Machine from the day before I installed dropbox. I'm sorry to go so long but this is really worrying me.  Please advise. Thank you. John, at [personal information removed as per the Community's Guidelines]

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How do I stop/uninstall dropbox and return my Mac to how its was before Dropbox?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My apologies. I found my files. Thank you, John

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: How do I stop/uninstall dropbox and return my Mac to how its was before Dropbox?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I found the webpage that explains how to uninstall and followed the directions only to find that the contents of my Downloads folder were gone as were my desktop items. WHERE ARE MY FILES ND HOW DO I GET THEM BACK!?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I found the webpage that explains how to uninstall Dropbox and followed the directions only to find afterwards that the contents of my Downloads folder were gone as were my desktop items. WHERE ARE MY FILES AND HOW DO I GET THEM BACK!?

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

My apologies. I found my files. Thank you, John

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi John

The same thing happened to me today. I can't stop the "uploads" to my DB account and my desktop files are gone.  has someone hijacked my computer?  Can you tell me what you did to recover? thanks

Paul

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @paul n.25, I'm sorry to hear about this matter.

It sounds like you enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application. Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?