cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I turn off the Dropbox badge?

How do I turn off the Dropbox badge?

David A.1
New member | Level 1

Just found out I now have a Dropbox badge when using Excel. Thank you. Now how do I turn it off? Looks ugly on my 3-screen monitor and frankly, I can do without. Instructions on Dropbox's site show a MacOS screenshot - but when I check my Dropbox preferences (on Windows), I don't have an option to turn it off.

7 Replies 7

Re: How do I turn off the Dropbox badge?

Brian O.
Dropboxer

Hi David, Gabriel from Dropbox Support here!

If you'd like to disable the Dropbox badge, you can do so by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, then the gear icon, then Preferences. You'll then have the option to choose when you'd like to see the Dropbox badge: "Always Shown", "If others are viewing" and "Never Shown." To completely disable the Dropbox badge, select "Never Shown" from the drop down menu. That will prevent Dropbox from showing the badge on your Office documents.

For more information on how to disable the badge, please see the following help article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/7713

Hope you find this useful. Happy Dropboxing!

David A.1
New member | Level 1

As I have pointed out, there is no badge preferences in my Dropbox, and I am running Windows. Here is a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sz0jvcx0ggxx714/Dropbox-3-1-264-preferences.png?dl=0. I see the badge in Excel, I don't see an option to turn it off! Running Dropbox v3.1.264

Brian O.
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying! Initially, it may take a little time for the option to disable the Dropbox badge appears in your Dropbox preferences menu. Could you hover your mouse pointer over the Dropbox icon and see if it says "Starting"? If it does, it may take a few minutes for the option to disable the Dropbox badge to appear.

If upon hovering over the Dropbox icon you see something else (like "up to date"), then could you try quitting and restarting Dropbox to see if that helps? You can restart Dropbox by following these steps:

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu tray or system bar

• Click on the gear icon

• Select Quit or Exit Dropbox

Once Dropbox has been completely exited, restart the application. You should then see Dropbox report that it is starting, but as soon as it reports something else (from hovering over the icon) open up the Preferences menu to see if you now have the option to disable the Dropbox badge.

If you still don’t have the option to disable the Dropbox badge after completely restarting the Dropbox application, can I get you to go to https://www.dropbox.com/support and one of our support agents will help iron this out for you!

David A.1
New member | Level 1

It looks like the issue has been resolved in a newer build of DropBox - v3.1.268 now correctly have the setting. Problem resolved, thanks!

Alix R.
New member | Level 1

It looks to me like you can turn off the Badge in Preferences>General accessed via the taskbar icon.

Alan S.50
New member | Level 1

I do not want to keep or have access to previous versions of a report I am writing and saving to dropbox.  How do I delete previous versions?

Rich
Super User II

Alan, please do not post in unrelated threads, especially ones that are over a year old. In the future, please find a relevant topic to reply to, or start a new thread for your issue.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Alan S.50 New member | Level 1
    Alix R. New member | Level 1
    David A.1 New member | Level 1
    Brian O. Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?