cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Dropbox identifies its own folder?

How does Dropbox identifies its own folder?

Skyppa
Explorer | Level 4

Hello guys, 

I have this problem: somehow*, DP no longer recognizes its own folder (250 Gb, Mac user). Other than that, it keeps trying to rename the Dropbox folder to start over with a new sync process, which I don't want to do for two obvious reasons: local files are the most up to date and even if I wanted the whole process would take too long to complete

* I actually know what happened: I created a Team (business) demo account while connected to a paid (personal) Plus account. My mistake, I should have disconnected from the Plus first. The problem started immediately after disbanding the demo account

It is quite clear that DB is still linked to the demo account, as you can read in the info.json file (inside the invisible .dropbox folder):

{"business": {"path": "/Users/Shared/Dropbox", "host": 66607985120, "is_team": true, "subscription_type": "Business"}}

This is how it is supposed to be:

{"personal": {"path": "/Users/admin/Dropbox", "host": 67456258608, "is_team": false, "subscription_type": "Pro"}}

So the question: how does Dropbox identifies its own folder and how can I trick it into recognizing the original updated one?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Re: How does Dropbox identify its own folder?

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Skyppa, thanks for taking the time to message us!

If you were part of a team, then the Dropbox folder would have been renamed to that of the team. When you left the team, it would return to the original name.

What is the current name of the Dropbox folder? It is just 'Dropbox', or does it contain a team name?

This will help me assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Skyppa
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jay, nice to hear from you!

I never saw anything regarding the Team account because I made it with a laptop while I was out of office and disbanded it as soon as I realized the mistake (a few minutes afetr). Once back, I found DB stuck, asking to rename the folder (as it still doing by now).

Thank you sooo much for your help

Skyppa
Explorer | Level 4

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the name is still the same: Dropbox (never changed)

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @Skyppa; how are you today?

I'm not sure if this would do the trick, but could you try unlinking and re-linking your account through the app's preferences? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Skyppa
Explorer | Level 4

Havent tried yet but at this point I will, because I cannot make myself understood by the support guy, who suggests me to rename the folder and start over, with the obvious consequence that the downloaded data will not be the updated one...

Walter
Dropboxer

Let me know how it goes @Skyppa

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Skyppa
Explorer | Level 4

Finally I had the response I was asking for: after reset Dropbox folder permissions with a bunch of terminal commands DB finally started to sync again. The weird thing is that for a very short moment I saw the folder change its name to "Team Folder" (something like that) and then change it back to "Dropbox", the evidence that something was still linked to the disbanded demo.

Thanks, anyway 🙂

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Skyppa Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?