cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many years until Dropbox will fix offline files being unaccessible

How many years until Dropbox will fix offline files being unaccessible

mcganty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I see via Google that many people continue to share having this problem. When I update my offline files, they're usable for about 24 hours and then they are no longer accessible. So for example, if you go camping for the weekend, and have some file you'd like to access, you're out of luck. This problem has been reported by many people for at least two years (confirm on Google if you doubt this).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey PeeDub, sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. 

In order to proceed to resolution on this matter, I'd have to advise you to update your iPhone's operating system to the latest available version (11.0.3). Moreover, can you make sure that you've installed the latest Dropbox mobile app (70.2)? This way, you'll make sure to get all fixes that have been implemented on the latest updates.

I hope this is helpful to you & you get the issue you've experienced with your Offline files fixed. Keep me updated on the progress here & I'll do my best to follow-up! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

47 Replies 47

Pierre S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have 2 ipads and 1 iphone, all of them are running Dropbox.

I use it for work purpose to have videos of my products. 
Before the newest updates, where it changed form "favorites"  to offline files, i had no problems, but now, the videos set to offline, just dont work offline, and its causing a lot of problems.

All the videos i use, are formatted to Mp4, i have about 30 videos, and only 4 (the 4 newest added) refuse to work. They have been doiwnloaded about 5 til 8 times now, and soon as wifi is gone, they dont work, while all the old videos work. This is the same problem accross 3 devices!

Can anyone shine some light on what the heck is going on? 

Ian H.31
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the DB app on my iphone and have set some files (video and audio files) as 'available offline' so i can watch some movies on my commute. I have set my app to only connect over wifi, however, my monthly data allowance has since run out and all of a sudden all the files are unavailable and all display with a yellow exclamation icon.

Does dropbox still require internet access in order for me to access the files which are supposed to be on my phone? Is this why my entire data allowance has gone in a week? Surely the files are saved locally and should have no need for a connection?

Please help ^_^ 

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Ian

Perhaps the files didn't complete downloading to be available offline? Can you check it once you get back to a WiFi connection? 

More info: https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/87

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ian H.31
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Ed, The files were definitely complete as it took me several hours on my crappy connection for them to finally say complete (and for the '% downloaded' message to go). I had been watching them on the bus for a few days before i lost my data allowance and the exclamation marks appeared.

The app is now telling me there's not enough space on my phone for the offline files - despite there being roughly twice the value of my entire dropbox available. I installed a game on there at some point so my other question is: do offline dropbox files get overwritten by other apps? If my phone was struggling for space (it is not) would it not just say it couldn't install the new app, rather than overwriting dropbox files and then dropbox telling me there's not enough space for the files that were already supposed to be there?

Pierre S.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This has been some damn good support. I will make sure, that we find a different hosting service, one that has client support, and not just a useless forum. Where no one raises an eyebrow for a serious issue with the software.

I feel sad that we ever paid for dropbox.

Trisha L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same issue. Large audio files downloaded over wifi. Confirmed available offline by switching to aircraft mode and was able to listen to them. Now when driving the files are no longer available. Only solution is to switch to cellular. This has happened several times now an the only resolution is to download the files again when connected to wifi.

Joel E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I seem to have the same issue. 

I uploaded a few videos from my Mac onto dropbox, checked they played while over 4G. Selected to save them offline and watched them download to my phone. Got on a flight, put on aeroplane mode... and they don't play :'(

Even when I reconnect to 4G or wifi now the "offline files" still won't play. The loading indicator just sits there spinning.

Joel E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I seem to have the same issue. 

I uploaded a few videos from my Mac onto dropbox, checked they played while over 4G. Selected to save them offline and watched them download to my phone. Got on a flight, put on aeroplane mode... and they don't play :'(

Even when I reconnect to 4G or wifi now the "offline files" still won't play. The loading indicator just sits there spinning.

Dan B.12
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Downloaded android app on Samsung galaxy tab, signed in and saw all my documents as expected. I checked each individual one to make them available offline, but when I go somewhere with no wifi connection a load of the docs won't load.

Instead I get a message saying 'Dropbox can't open this file, check your internet connection'.

Dropbox is usually left open on the tablet and lives in a wifi zone for the majority of the time, yet nearly 3 weeks after checking all the docs as available offline, it clearly isn't downloading them to the device as it should be. 

These aren't big files (maybe two dozen pdf's) and I'm nowhere near exceeding my download limit and I rely on having these docs available at all times. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TheTalk New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    PeeDub Helpful | Level 5
    rwpallegama New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?