cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How many years until Dropbox will fix offline files being unaccessible

How many years until Dropbox will fix offline files being unaccessible

mcganty
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I see via Google that many people continue to share having this problem. When I update my offline files, they're usable for about 24 hours and then they are no longer accessible. So for example, if you go camping for the weekend, and have some file you'd like to access, you're out of luck. This problem has been reported by many people for at least two years (confirm on Google if you doubt this).

47 Replies 47

FIXThis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This doesn't work. I'm on wifi right now a strong wifi and it still don't work

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
We cant even attempt to trouble shoot if you dont mention what you've tried and what you are seeing.

Please also note that if you have upgraded to iOS 11 its probably worth starting a new thread about that as its certainly a different issue.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

PeeDub
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I can't believe that DropBox is SO unreliable.  The notion that my files are actually being stored 'offline' in my phone seems fanciful due to the constant issues trying to access them. Why would I need to 'Refresh' to play offline files? And why is DropBox saying 'Deciding which files to download' or somesuch with files previously stored offline?  Please don't try to second-guess me. I want the files in the folder I asked to be stored offline.  Not your version of what I want:  MINE.
Instead of developing fancy features (and creaming some I used all the time) why don't you fix the bugs?
Appalling.

I've now experienced a few other file sharing services. When my DB subscription runs out I'm outta here.

rwpallegama
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Accessing the offline content when you are really offline is, in Dropbox, when the offline file is previewed, touch the "three small buttons (ooo)" on the top right hand corner, then select Export and then select "Open in" and then slect the relevant app. It is done.

rwpallegama
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Accessing the offline content when you are really offline is, in Dropbox, when the offline file is previewed, touch the "three small buttons (ooo)" on the top right hand corner, then select Export, then "Open in" and then slect the relevant app. It is done.

PeeDub
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the tip, but that's not relevant. I'm using the iPhone version which doesn't have the three small 000's (it's the latest Dropbox app as of Oct 2017 with iOS 10.3.3).  Most are my issues should be trivial to find answers for, but they certainly don't seem that way when I trawl the FAQs and this forum. For example:  I have specified NO folders are to sync.  That's zero syncing, thanks.  Yet, my OFFLINE folder keeps getting synced (?) and there seems to be no way to stop it. So much for keeping an archival version of a file... it gets overwritten by Dropbox whether I like it or not. I'm happy to acknowledge my lack of complete knowledge of the DropBox 'system'... I just don't get the notion that "OFFLINE" means OFFLINE, KINDA. Is this system intuitive: No.  Is it foolproof: No.  Is it cumbersome: Yes.  Do I pay a decent subscription: Yes.   Am I happy: Make an educated guess.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey PeeDub, sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. 

In order to proceed to resolution on this matter, I'd have to advise you to update your iPhone's operating system to the latest available version (11.0.3). Moreover, can you make sure that you've installed the latest Dropbox mobile app (70.2)? This way, you'll make sure to get all fixes that have been implemented on the latest updates.

I hope this is helpful to you & you get the issue you've experienced with your Offline files fixed. Keep me updated on the progress here & I'll do my best to follow-up! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

TheTalk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is great, and it appears to work.  I don't know why it's so complicated, but at least it does appear that you have access to your files if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere and need the files.  And one good thing is that it adds a layer of security to prevent someone from accessing your files! Ha!

@rwpallegamawrote:

Accessing the offline content when you are really offline is, in Dropbox, when the offline file is previewed, touch the "three small buttons (ooo)" on the top right hand corner, then select Export, then "Open in" and then slect the relevant app. It is done.

Need more support?