cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How much storage should Dropbox software use on Windows?

Helpful | Level 6

Involvement in some recent troubleshooting caused me to notice that the files stored in folder "\users\account_name\appadata\roaming\dropbox" utilize more than 1GB of storage.  No other software on this computer comes even close to that and dropbox is also utilizing storage in other folders.  Might there be a need for some correction?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: How much storage should Dropbox software use on Windows?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @aeneas; thanks for posting on our Community!

I just checked mine and it shows only approx. 200 MB on my Windows 10 machine. Can you please send me a screenshot of where you spotted this and the version of the app you're using on the affected computer as shown within your system tray?

If it's the cache folder that's taking up that space, you can clear it using these steps

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Looks like the Version is 100.4.409 which indicates "Up to Date".

Here is a screenshot of properties for the "roaming" sub-directory which shows more than 1GB of storage being used.

Here is a screenshot that displays the sub-directories contained in the "...\roaming\dropbox" sub-directory.

One thought I've had is to remove (uninstall) Dropbox and then reinstall it but that will create another problem that possibly should be mentioned now.

I've always run my Windows computers with multi-boot which is my preferred method for preserving the ability instantly recover from any of the frequently occuring Windows problems that require a significant amount of time to troubleshoot.  A cloning process is used to install the secondary instances of Windows.  It now appears that on one of my computers this was done prior to installing Dropbox.  When I go to install Dropbox now on such an instance of Windows, Dropbox seems to think I'm installing on another computer, rather than the same computer on which Dropbox has been running for years, and prohibits that installation saying I'm exceeding the limit on the number of computers.  I'm quite sure that everything that identifies that computer on my network is the same for each instance of Windows.  How can that problem be resolved?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I think that the issue stems from using roaming profiles in the first place @aeneas.

You can try re-installing the app, but for as long as you'll be dual booting on it and have the desktop app installed, this will keep happening I'm afraid since those instances will be recognized as separate devices from our system. 

In any case, please keep me posted on the matter.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?