cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much storage should Dropbox software use on Windows?

How much storage should Dropbox software use on Windows?

aeneas
Helpful | Level 6

Involvement in some recent troubleshooting caused me to notice that the files stored in folder "\users\account_name\appadata\roaming\dropbox" utilize more than 1GB of storage.  No other software on this computer comes even close to that and dropbox is also utilizing storage in other folders.  Might there be a need for some correction?

9 Replies 9

Re: How much storage should Dropbox software use on Windows?

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @aeneas; thanks for posting on our Community!

I just checked mine and it shows only approx. 200 MB on my Windows 10 machine. Can you please send me a screenshot of where you spotted this and the version of the app you're using on the affected computer as shown within your system tray?

If it's the cache folder that's taking up that space, you can clear it using these steps

Keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

aeneas
Helpful | Level 6

Looks like the Version is 100.4.409 which indicates "Up to Date".

Here is a screenshot of properties for the "roaming" sub-directory which shows more than 1GB of storage being used.

Here is a screenshot that displays the sub-directories contained in the "...\roaming\dropbox" sub-directory.

One thought I've had is to remove (uninstall) Dropbox and then reinstall it but that will create another problem that possibly should be mentioned now.

I've always run my Windows computers with multi-boot which is my preferred method for preserving the ability instantly recover from any of the frequently occuring Windows problems that require a significant amount of time to troubleshoot.  A cloning process is used to install the secondary instances of Windows.  It now appears that on one of my computers this was done prior to installing Dropbox.  When I go to install Dropbox now on such an instance of Windows, Dropbox seems to think I'm installing on another computer, rather than the same computer on which Dropbox has been running for years, and prohibits that installation saying I'm exceeding the limit on the number of computers.  I'm quite sure that everything that identifies that computer on my network is the same for each instance of Windows.  How can that problem be resolved?

Walter
Dropboxer

I think that the issue stems from using roaming profiles in the first place @aeneas.

You can try re-installing the app, but for as long as you'll be dual booting on it and have the desktop app installed, this will keep happening I'm afraid since those instances will be recognized as separate devices from our system. 

In any case, please keep me posted on the matter.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

aeneas
Helpful | Level 6

@Walter wrote:

I think that the issue stems from using roaming profiles in the first place @aeneas.

Is this something I have some ability to control?  I do NOT need separate Dropboxes for each user.  I typically run my computers with a separate account for administrator privileges and normally operate as a standard user.  At present, I think the Dropbox is only functioning for the standard user but it would actually be better if it processed the same Dropbox account for all users.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the follow up @aeneas!

In this case you can stop the %APPDATA% folder from roaming by following these steps: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814592

Additionally, you should be able to resolve this by setting Windows to ignore the AppData\Roaming\Dropbox location and preventing it from roaming using the following directions: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188692

I hope this helps and please let me know how you get on! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

aeneas
Helpful | Level 6

The second of the links referenced appears to be broken but I did review the first and I don't think this applies to my computers.

I'm NOT using any Windows Servers.  No Active Directory.  Each of my computers is a simple Windows client (1 Windows 10, several Windows 7, and yes still some Windows XP & 2000 occasionally).  I use SMB networking on a local area network.  I only have Dropbox installed on a Windows 10 and 2 Windows 7 computers.  I've now gone and looked a little closer at each of these 3 computers.  Only one of the Windows 7 computers even has a "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox" directory.

Unless you are telling me that Dropbox somehow emulates a Windows Server I don't think my computers have ever been connected to a network that uses Windows Active Directory.  Since the computer in question is a laptop I suppose it is possible to somewhere somehow this could have happened completely unknown to me.

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry about that @aeneas. I think the right link would be the following:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3056198/roaming-user-profiles-versioning-in-windows-10-and-...

Can you please let me know how many instances of your computers are listed on the security page of your account?

Also, have you tried re-installing it on the computer showing this behavior to see if it improves matters?

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

aeneas
Helpful | Level 6

Yes, that link is better.  However, my conclusion is that roaming profiles are NOT something that I intend to be using.  Furthermore, there are NO Windows Server computers on my network.  Also, none on any network my computers may have connected to that I know about.

Insofar as 2 of my 3 Dropbox computers (i.e., as listed on the security page you reference) have no folder named "dropbox" in the ...\appdata\roaming folder I'm hoping this is some kind of as yet unexplained anamoly that will go away with reinstallation.  However, this situation is making it look like I need to figure out how to get dropbox running properly on each instance associated with a particular computer.  When I say instance of Windows I'm talking about which one of several, typically 3, Windows systems partitions are booted, only one at a time, on a given computer.  Something I haven't yet done but I think should be possible with more current virtual machine technoology is to run several instances of Windows at the same time on a given computer.  Does Dropbox expect to work in that environment?

The problem seems to be that on but one computer one of those instances of Windows has Dropbox installed but in need of being connected to a Dropbox account.  Dropbox is refusing to do that because it says I'm adding an additional computer.  However, that is incorrect I'm only trying to reconnect a computer that is already connected.

My thinking is that this is actually a much bigger problem than what I'm dealing with now.  While it is NOT something I've needed or wanted to do for some years now it ought to be possible to connect to other Dropbox accounts and this issue would prevent that as best I can tell.  This is something I've done in the past (possibly back in 2015).  Might it be that this 3 computer limitation did NOT exist then and that implementing such is what has caused me to no longer be able to connect 3 computers?

aeneas
Helpful | Level 6

I did the uninstall followed by install on the instance of Windows that had roaming profiles.  This went pretty much as expected, which certainly means that NO ...\appdata\roaming\dropbox folder was created.  The total storage, most in the "c:\program files x86" folder is around 400MB which seems awfully high for what I'm thinking Dropbox needs to do.  However, the extra 1GB of storage is gone for now.  I notice that the uninstall removed whatever it is on the Dropbox Servers that cause this computer to be considered connected.  Then when I reinstalled, to my surprise, it went ahead and reconnected to to the same account that the uninstalled version was connected to.  It did this without me having to specify anything which seemed odd.  This suggests that the uninstall was NOT as complete as one might want.  I should point out that I made a point of going around and deleting anything I could find that looked like it was Dropbox related before performing the reinstall.  This included searching the registry for keys identified as Dropbox but none were found.  Apparently I missed something.

I think I may have figured out how to solve the above mentioned problem related to running multiple instances of Windows/Dropbox on the same computer.  It looks like when I access my Dropbox account via web browser I'm able to use the security tab which displays connected computers to remove (?disconnect) such computers.  I'm thinking that by doing that I can then install a new instance of Dropbox on the same computer.  Of course for this to be useful Dropbox Servers needs to see each instane as being the same.  Until I try it I won't be able to tell if this works.  I'd be grateful for someone who knows about such things to advise whether or NOT this is has a chance of working before doing something experimental that could do more harm than good.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

aeneas Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?