cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Remove Access to Dropbox files

How to Remove Access to Dropbox files

JoeL11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have to send my laptop in for repair and I want to remove access to the Dropbox files (some are shared with others, some are not) from the laptop.  So far I have Quit DropBox on the app, uninstalled the DropBox software, and rebooted, yet I can still get access to Dropbox files.  I do not want to delete these files from my DropBox account, as I would still access them from other computers while the laptop is being repaired.

So, how do I remove access to all these files while the computer is out of my possession?  To my knowledge, I have not enabled the backup feature in DropBox.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox is a sync' tool so everything is downloaded and stored locally on each computer unless you state otherwise. So, although you've uninstalled the software etc. all that does is stop syncing it does not remove the files from the computer. So, now that you have uninstalled you can delete the files as you would any other and then, when you get the computer back, just reinstall Dropbox and let it download everything again.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox is a sync' tool so everything is downloaded and stored locally on each computer unless you state otherwise. So, although you've uninstalled the software etc. all that does is stop syncing it does not remove the files from the computer. So, now that you have uninstalled you can delete the files as you would any other and then, when you get the computer back, just reinstall Dropbox and let it download everything again.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

JoeL11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you, Mark for the response and explanation!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JoeL11 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?