cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete Dropbox on iMac without deleting anything from computer?

How to delete Dropbox on iMac without deleting anything from computer?

M Hef
New member | Level 2

My husband downloaded DROPBOX without realizing what he was doing or what the application does--he was just trying to access a shared folder on Dropbox that was linked to a website.  Now his computer has been backed up to Dropbox, and we don't want that.  I have searched on how to delete DROPBOX, but the directions don't match what I can find.  

PLUS it says 

1 Reply 1

Re: How to delete Dropbox on iMac without deleting anything from computer?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @M Hef, I hope you're well today!

Before removing the app or deleting your Dropbox account, I would suggest disabling the backup feature through the desktop app settings. To do this, please follow the steps outlined towards the bottom of this article.

Once you've disabled the backup, you can move the contents of the Documents, Downloads and Desktop folders in Dropbox back to the original locations.

Also, before uninstalling the app or deleting your account, I'd suggest unlinking the desktop from your account so that the files in the Dropbox folder remain locally on your computer.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?