cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete a dropbox file from trashcan on mac

How to delete a dropbox file from trashcan on mac

Roxy S.1
New member | Level 2

Hi guys,

hope someone can help me with this one:

I've got a macbook air (Early 2014) running on El Capitan 10.11.5 and have had access to folders from my boss.

Now, I no longer need to access one of the folders and deleted it but now it stays in my trashcan and will not empty. It says that they're locked and I try to remove all items and then it says that the item is in use.

(I know now that I should have just gone into it via safari and gotten rid of the file from there but this is starting to annoy me.)

So in other words: is there a way to delete it permanently?

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Re: How to delete a dropbox file from trashcan on mac

Chris_J
Super User

Have you tried this?  click on 'Finder' in menu bar and select secure Empty Trash.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Roxy S.1
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't have that option as I've got El Capitan. I'm currently looking at solutions through mac and it seems that that option was not included with the newest OS. Am also currently trying to find out what the other options are.

Chris_J
Super User

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+secure+trash+mac+el+captain&oq=how+to+secure+trash+mac+el+cap...

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Roxy S.1
New member | Level 2

Thanks, just found that one out myself. The only problem is that it asks me for a password (Which I then supply as I am the administrator on my mac) but it then tells me that I don't have permission to access the items.

*sigh*

I'm guessing i need my boss' password to delete it. I'll have to try that and if that doesn't work, try to find a work around.

Thanks anyway

Chris_J
Super User

you may try to boot mac into safe mode.  It used to be that pressing left shift key while booting gets it in safe mode.  If successful, perhaps try to delete file

Roxy S.1
New member | Level 2

Okay! Fixed:

Highlight the locked file in your trashcan and press command + i this will bring up the info. On the "general" dropdown there will be two options: "Shared folder" and "locked".

In order to unselect the "Locked" option you have to click the lock on the bottom right of the page. You will then be required to input your password. After it is unlocked, you can then unselect the "locked" option from the General drop down.

Empty trash.

Isabell S.
New member | Level 1

Roxy & Chris,

Thank you for the instructions!!

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Isabell S. New member | Level 1
    Roxy S.1 New member | Level 2
    Chris_J Super User
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?