cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to disable dropbox autostart?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Being bandwidth limited,  it is important that I control when applications access the internet. Thus, I do not want dropbox to start syncing upon bootup.

On several machines running Linux Mint 17.3, 18.1 and 18.3 all with the MATE desktop environment, I was unable to permanently disable autostart by unchecking the menu selection System ==> Preferences ==> Startup Applications ==> Dropbox. Each time I tried this method, upon reboot, Dropbox would be started again. I followed the instructions here 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installation-and-desktop-app/Disable-autostart-permanently/m-p/25528...

with these changes:

Edit the file ~/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop (note the leading . in front of config), replacing 

Exec=dropbox start -i

with

Exec=dropbox stop

It was NOT necessary to modify permissions on that file after making the change.

Even without that file mod, this is still a hack and should be fixed by the developers. 

Thanks for all your efforts.

Carl

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How to disable dropbox autostart?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @cdaaawg,

Thanks for reporting this! 

As this sounds really interesting , can you please let us know on which desktop app is this issue happening? 

The latest stable version of our desktop app is 46.4.65 - if you are not on this build , I would suggest to install this one and try to reproduce this problem. 

Let me know what you find please! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How to disable dropbox autostart?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @cdaaawg,

Thanks for reporting this! 

As this sounds really interesting , can you please let us know on which desktop app is this issue happening? 

The latest stable version of our desktop app is 46.4.65 - if you are not on this build , I would suggest to install this one and try to reproduce this problem. 

Let me know what you find please! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?