cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix "server error" message displayed when attempting to open TXT files.

How to fix "server error" message displayed when attempting to open TXT files.

Joseph O.4
New member | Level 1

I have a number of Windows Notepad files (file suffix .txt) in Dropbox and a few of them won't open any more. I have been able to open them in the past. In the most recent three days, I have received a "Server Error - An internal server error occurred" message when I tried to open some of them. Please help.

5 Replies 5

Re: How to fix "server error" message displayed when attempting to open TXT files.

Atte R.
New member | Level 1

I have recently had the exact same problem with some of my txt files. I think this is somehow linked to the file contents, since I can open some of my txt files. Noticeably I can't open any files that have Scandinavian characters in them. I have tried removing all scands and changing the file encoding back and forth between UTF-8 and ANSI/ISO-8859-15, but it doesn't seem to have any immediate effect.

This only causes problems in the web UI, viewing the files through my eg. Android Dropbox client works fine.

Re: How to fix "server error" message displayed when attempting to open TXT files.

Joseph O.4
New member | Level 1

Thank you for your reply, Atte R.

Your reply does not solve my problem, and the content of the TXT files should not cause a server error, anyway.

The files in question contain standard alphanumeric characters which are not illegal in any operating system. Furthermore, I have normally been able to retrieve the same files in the past.

Finally. I can view older versions of my files by right-clicking on them and selecting "Previous versions" from the dropdown menu that appears. This is partially useful for older content within earlier versions of the files, but more recent content in those files is unavailable, so I still cannot view the current versions of the files.

This is a Dropbox problem, not a file content problem. I still hope someone can help me with this.

Atte R.
New member | Level 1

I must've expressed myself unclearly. I have the same problem, and I was merely speculating the cause. Looking forward to a proper solution and/or fix for this as well.

Georgia W.2
New member | Level 1

I believe that a virus had corrupted my dropbox files. Is there any way that I can retrieve the previous versions of my files?

Rich
Super User II

In the future, please start a new topic instead of replaying to an old, unrelated one. Thank you. See below. If you need further assistance please start a new topic.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Georgia W.2 New member | Level 1
    Atte R. New member | Level 1
    Joseph O.4 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?