cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to free up space on my laptop without deleting files from DropBox?

How to free up space on my laptop without deleting files from DropBox?

andi11235
New member | Level 2

When I installed the DropBox app on my computer I chose to add SmartSync so that my computer files would automatically be backed up into DropBox. When I did so,  there was a note at the end saying that if I deleted any files from DropBox I would delete them from my computer, too. Does the same work in reverse? If I delete files from my computer will I also be deleting them from DropBox? My DropBox account has more storage space than my computer does, and I wanted DropBox so I could have a way of freeing up storage space on my computer's hard drive by storing my thousands of photos on DropBox and on an external hard drive instead of in my computer's hard drive. Is there any way to delete photos from the computer without deleting them from DropBox?

1 Reply 1

Re: How to free up space on my laptop without deleting files from DropBox?

ailsa99
Helpful | Level 6

Use Smart Sync > Online Only feature. It will remove the Dropbox folders you choose(to help you free up space on the laptop), and only show in dropbox.com.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?