cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to free up space?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello everyone.

Our dropbox account is set to mirror our work server. It works great - if we add files to work server, they automatically appear on our Dropbox server. If we make changes to files on our work server, the changes are made on the Dropbox server. As we fill up our work server, obviously Dropbox fills up and we have less free space. All good. 

Every so often we remove large amount of files from our work server to an off-site back up. The files also appear to have been removed on our Drop box server.

But what I can't uderstand is this. No matter how many files we remove from our work server - 500Gb for example - we never free up any space on our Dropbox server. In fact, it just keeps growing. We are constantly runing out of space and have to purchase more nd more storage we shouldn't really need. 

How can I ensure the pace is freed up when we remove files from our work server? 

Any help most appreciated as its driving me insane!  

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: How to free up space?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @58lemons, since you mention that any actions you take on your server is mirrored into your Dropbox account(s), this would most likely be something to be troubleshooted with the server providers. 

I understand that this may not be the ideal response for you, but I do hope it helps to some extent. Let me know if there’s anything else I can help with!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Lusil

I guess it could be our server having an issue. 

It might well be that I'm just not deleteing enough files to notice the diffence or someone else on the shared server is adding more large stuff. I'll see if I can delete a huge amount and see what happens. 

Cheers

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
No worries, @58lemons. Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?