cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to keep the "date modified" from changing when transferring files to dropbox?

How to keep the "date modified" from changing when transferring files to dropbox?

Jennifer B.11
New member | Level 1

My computer is full so I have been manually "option" copying my files to my dropbox. I just went into one of my client folders and noticed that each and every file now have a revised "date modified" changed to the date I put the files on dropbox! This is a minor disaster - I didn't realize how much I relied on those dates. 

How do I keep the "date modified" from changing when I transfer files over to dropbox? Because the whole "date modified" thing becomes pointless/useless despite being really valuable/helpful.

Ugh!

5 Replies 5

drumby
Helpful | Level 6
I would make this a federal offence, it's a vital part of my filing system that Dropbox has changed without warning. This could have very serious consequences on large projects if something gets missed due to my now not being able to sort files in date order. Utter disaster, I wouldn't settle for less than 20,000. These large tech companies think they can just change stuff without permission or warning. I would leave Dropbox but previously tried OneDrive and it was even worse!!

Jane
Dropbox Staff

Hey drumby 

Thanks for reaching out on the Dropbox Community!  

I reproduced the behavior on my end on various sorting options on Windows, Mac and the Dropbox website and I'm afraid I couldn't find a workaround to help you out with this. This happens because uploading on the cloud is different than the modification date on the computer, hence there are two different values, namely the first being OS-dependent and the second one application-dependent, where it is expected to see some discrepancy.  

I understand that this may be useful to you or other Business users, though, so I 'll make sure that your comments are passed along to the team for further consideration.  

If you have other Dropbox questions, just let me know here!  

Thanks, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dbeato
Super User alumni

@Jennifer B.11 wrote:

My computer is full so I have been manually "option" copying my files to my dropbox. I just went into one of my client folders and noticed that each and every file now have a revised "date modified" changed to the date I put the files on dropbox! This is a minor disaster - I didn't realize how much I relied on those dates. 

How do I keep the "date modified" from changing when I transfer files over to dropbox? Because the whole "date modified" thing becomes pointless/useless despite being really valuable/helpful.

Ugh!

There is no way right now that Dropbox can change this option for you, the way that Dropbox works when uploading the files makes it to be modified on the folder where you are uploading the folder. The creation date I believe is what changes, Modified date has always been kept at least in the Windows Dropbox.

tinyapps
Explorer | Level 3

If you can access both Dropbox directories via file sharing/UNC paths, drive enclosure, USB file transfer cable, etc, then you can clone just the file and folder "Date modified" values from one Dropbox directory (e.g., "Dropbox1") to another (e.g., "Dropbox2") via:

robocopy "\path\to\Dropbox1" "\path\to\Dropbox2" /XD ".dropbox.cache" /XF ".dropbox" /E /DCOPY:T /COPY:T

Backup, test, and understand before proceeding. See Clone "Date modified" values without recopying files for more information.

51m0n
New member | Level 2
To help mitigate this problem on the Mac you can set Finder to display the date created either instead of, or as well as, the date modified. To do this, within Finder go to View>Show View Options.
Need more support?