Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to move multiple files from one folder to another

Explorer | Level 4
Hi, how do I move multiple photos from the photo folder to a folder in files pls?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How to move multiple files from one folder to another

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad you managed to resolve your first concer @BB81 - how are you today?

Sorry to be jumping in (since my colleague Jane is currently out of office) - let's take a look at the "._" files issue now. Read on for more context:

The issue you're seeing is a Mac issue that occurs when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them (typically when you store files on a non-native hard drive partition). Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files.

These files are called AppleDouble files and more information on how to handle them can be found performing a simple search on the internet with this search term:

"apple double files" 

To avoid this issue if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, I'd recommend ensuring that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the Operating System that is installed. 

Formatting drives may cause data to be deleted. Please consult resources from your Operating System's manufacturer for steps and recommendations on formatting drives to a different file system. The most common default file systems are NTFS (Windows), HFS (Mac OS X ) or ext4 (Linux).

I hope this information helps and please let us know if you come up with any other Dropbox questions; we'll be happy to help!

Have a happy new Year too!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there (@BB81), there are some options depending on what you’d like to accomplish, though the most quick-fire advice I could give would be Cutting & Pasting from the initial location to the destination folder if you’re using our desktop application. Alternatively, you can multi-select your files & use the Move ➡️ functionality on our website to get going with that. 

Please do let me know here how my suggestions work for you or if I’ve misunderstood your inquiry in any way & I’ll do my best to follow-up n this discussion. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jane, thanks for the reply. I figured it out, I have to go to the camera uploads folder, and move from there, not from the photo tab on my phone. I have another wuestion though, when uploading photos from my harddrive to dropbox, extra files are created from the original photos, using same name, just with a ._ before the name; it’s also a jpg file, but can’t be opened. How can I avoid these files being created? Thanks!
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad you managed to resolve your first concer @BB81 - how are you today?

Sorry to be jumping in (since my colleague Jane is currently out of office) - let's take a look at the "._" files issue now. Read on for more context:

The issue you're seeing is a Mac issue that occurs when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them (typically when you store files on a non-native hard drive partition). Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files.

These files are called AppleDouble files and more information on how to handle them can be found performing a simple search on the internet with this search term:

"apple double files" 

To avoid this issue if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, I'd recommend ensuring that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the Operating System that is installed. 

Formatting drives may cause data to be deleted. Please consult resources from your Operating System's manufacturer for steps and recommendations on formatting drives to a different file system. The most common default file systems are NTFS (Windows), HFS (Mac OS X ) or ext4 (Linux).

I hope this information helps and please let us know if you come up with any other Dropbox questions; we'll be happy to help!

Have a happy new Year too!

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?