cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to open dropbox link from slack to finder?

How to open dropbox link from slack to finder?

Lauri I.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Our teams use Dropbox and Slack and we daily share internal dropbox project links from our dropbox to Slack.

The question everyone has, how can you easily open a dropbox link from slack to reveal it in finder?

13 Replies 13

henrou
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't think Lauri was talking about links shared outside her team but rather links shared within the team. And I don't think this answer actually is a solution to the problem at all.

Of course the local dropbox path is different for each user but that is exaclty why this would be such a great feature for Dropbox to implement. Otherwise we could just manage this ourselves by sending absolute paths.

Since Dropbox sync works, Dropbox obviously knows exactly which files in my teams Dropbox cloud folder maps to which files on my local machine. So if I get a Dropbox link from a colleague (in the same Dropbox team), Dropbox should be able to tell me exactly which file that is on my local machine and offer the option to open it.

Here's a use case that I believe would be possible.

- My collegue (in the same dropbox team) sends me a dropbox link

- I click the link and the folder or file opens on dropbox.com

- Om dropbox.com there is a button offering me the option to open the folder/file locally

- Pressing that button opens the local Dropbox.app (either via URL mapping locally if possible or by messaging the opened local Dropbox application) which immediately invokes the "view in finder" logic

Is this impossible to implement? Please let me know why that is in that case.

Jamesr1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am having the same issue as Lauri, which is described accurately by henrou 

There is no button to either open a file or open a folder (when on dropbox.com), that then opens the same file or folder within the dropbox app.  So when team members using the same dropbox send each other links for easy location to a file (whether through Slack or other), the only option is to work on it in dropbox.com.  The OPEN button gives other app options, but unfortunately not the dropbox app option or even the Open in Finder option.

Download is not an option because it creates a duplicate file rather than keeping the orginal file which everyone is working on togetheropen.jpg

Can this issue be continued here, or does a new one need to be started to find a solution to this? Thx.

Lauri I.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yeah super annoying that such an obvious feature is missing. I feel like dropbox has stopped developing their core app but are putting effort into paper and other services that are not that relevant to me personally. The desktop app still feels super heavy and features such as selective sync is annoyingly hard to access (as with smart sync I still dont want some folders to be synced at all).

Jamesr1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've found another discussion which covers this too.  Not solved either, but worth adding your "voice" to.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Installs-integrations/quot-Open-in-Finder-quot-and-quot-Open-in-Word...

Need more support?