cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to re-enable the warning when I delete files on my Mac?

How to re-enable the warning when I delete files on my Mac?

Philip N.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just noticed a new feature on Dropbox (version 51.4.66) on my Mac - I deleted a folder inside my Dropbox folder (moved it to the trash) and I was presented with a dialog asking me if I wanted to delete the file just from the computer I was using, or from everywhere.  There was a checkbox next to "Don't show this again".  I checked that box, but on reflection I would like to see that warning when I delete files.  So how can I re-enable that warning on my Mac?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @niceup & @Beanland, let me follow-up with you from where you’ve left off with @Jay, I hope my message finds you well! 

You may keep in mind that we’ve previously discussed the matter on this conversation (as other Community members have also accidentally ticked the :ballot_box_with_check:Don’t ask me again box), where I had advised re-installing our desktop application, which should bring the prompt back for you. Let me repeat here for convenience' sake: 

• Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  

(Note: If you’re working on a Mac, you may reference this discussion.)

Please have a look at the steps above at your earliest convenience & do let us know here of the outcome. I’m wishing you both a wonderful weekend ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Philip, this was a feature on our beta versions of the Dropbox desktop application, though I wasn’t aware it made it to the stable version.

I’ll test it out here to see what can be done to re-enable the prompt.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If there isn’t any option there to undo this change, could you check the settings online in your account?

Keep us posted with any updates!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Philip N.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
  • No I still have no way of re-enabling the warning.

Beanland
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Me too. I liked the popup, so I could delete from only 1 computer, or all. But one day I had 100 files to remove, so I disabled the popup message, but then went to find the popup again and I cannot find it. It was great to be able to choose where to delete a file from, all computers, or just the one I am on. 

niceup
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm in the same boat - please let us know how you can turn this back on.

Beanland
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

This option has not reappeared, it isnt able to be re-enabled in settings online and I have searched literally everywhere and cannot find where it went. 

When I delte a file, being able to choose whether to just delete from THIS computer or EVERYWHERE was really really useful. 

Once I removed the option it seems it was gone forever - please can we be given a way to get it back please?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @niceup & @Beanland, let me follow-up with you from where you’ve left off with @Jay, I hope my message finds you well! 

You may keep in mind that we’ve previously discussed the matter on this conversation (as other Community members have also accidentally ticked the :ballot_box_with_check:Don’t ask me again box), where I had advised re-installing our desktop application, which should bring the prompt back for you. Let me repeat here for convenience' sake: 

• Stop Dropbox (If needed) by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. >Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox".
  • Uninstall Dropbox: [Note: If Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the application.]> Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, and select "Control Panel" (Windows 7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (Windows 10, 8 ).> Click "Uninstall a Program". >Select Dropbox from the list of programs and click "Uninstall".
  • When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.  

(Note: If you’re working on a Mac, you may reference this discussion.)

Please have a look at the steps above at your earliest convenience & do let us know here of the outcome. I’m wishing you both a wonderful weekend ahead!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Beanland
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

AWESOME - thanks Jane

Buchet
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did the uninstall. Rebooted. Installed again and still no popup asking if I wanted to delet just on this mac or on all connected devices. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

au2 Helpful | Level 5
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    daweielufa New member | Level 2
    Philip N. Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?