cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to read Dropbox Linux application log

How to read Dropbox Linux application log

pedy
Explorer | Level 4

I see some weird behavior from the official Dropbox client on my Kubuntu Linux. I prefer to first inspect application log to get a clue of what's going on. I found some folders including binary files in "~/.dropbox/logs". How may I read them?

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @pedy, sorry to hear you're having issues with the desktop app on your Linux machine. 

The desktop client's logs are not meant to be read by users and they're only needed by our Support team in some extreme support cases.

That said, can you provide some additional information about the issue you're facing?

For example, what's the desktop app's exact version and status? Can you also describe the weird behavior you mentioned?

This would help us assist further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

pedy
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

I uses Dropbox official client version 147.4.4800 on Kubuntu 20.04. I face two issues:

1. When it runs at startup, it gets stuck at "Starting..." status. The sign next to its icon in taskbar blinks and "watch dropbox status" command shows me that it has stuck in the mentioned status. If I quit it and run it again, it syncs instantly.
  2. I have noticeable network transfer with the Dropbox client ("nethogs" shows me that) when its status is "Up to date". At first I assumed that it tries to automatically update itself, but it isn't; and it isn't syncing either.

As you see, I tried to figure out what's going on with the commands and tools; but they were not enough and I was looking for a detailed log.

I'd appreciate any help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the additional details there @pedy - much appreciated!

Can you install the latest stable version from this page and let me know if the issue persists?

If it does, can you see if you can reproduce it in a supported desktop environment

Walter
dropbox.com/support

pedy
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Walter 

I installed the version you provided (148.4.4519), but it wasn't possible for me (time wise) to test in another Linux environment. My current observations are:

- Yes, I still face the issue sometimes. Even now that the version is 149.4.4568.

- From the change in version it seems that the background data transfer which is not syncing, is automatic update of the client. Is that right? How can I disable it?

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @pedy - thanks for the updates!

Truth be told, there's already a newer version of the desktop app - you can find it on this page

When it comes to your second observation, I'm afraid it's not quite clear. Could you elaborate a bit? What are you trying to accomplish and what's troubling you exactly?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    pedy Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?