Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to replace an existing Dropbox

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I have had dropbox for a while now, just wondering if there is a way to make things more efficent. The two questions I have are as follows:

1. I have a dropbox saved on my work computer, when I save filed there it automatically updates online (i.e without me having to upload the file). However, on my home computer I have to download/upload these updated files to the online server for me to see them on my work computer. Just wondering if there's a way I can make it a two way sync? Or is this a service you have to pay for?

2. On my home comptuer I have my brothers old dropbox saved, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the above. If it does, how do I remove this dropbox entirely and replace it with my work one?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How to replace an existing Dropbox

Super User
Super User

Hello @hephraums, (1) If you have installed the Dropbox app in your home computer, and login with your same email and password as in your work computer, it will sync (two way upload/download) to your home computer as well. You do not need to pay any additional fees for this service. If your work account is a paid account, you do not pay any additional fees for connection to your home computer. If you are using a free/basic account in your work computer, then also you do not need to pay for connecting to home computer. 

(2) You cannot use multiple Dropbox account in your computer simultaneously. However, you can create multiple user accounts in your computer, and use separate Dropbox account with each account. If you do not want to create, multiple user accounts in your OS/computer, you have to unlink your brother's account, and sign in with your email and password. In order to do this follow these steps: 

• First locate the local Dropbox location of your Brother's account. The default location is C:\Users\<username>\Dropbox in Windows and /Users/<username>/Dropbox . Also you can directly go to the Dropbox folder by clicking the Dropbox shortcut in the left sidebar of Windows explorer or Mac Finder. You can also launch the Dropbox folder by clicking the Dropbox icon on the Windows taskbar tray area or Mac menubar > and then clicking the folder icon. Remember this location. 

2018-06-25 at 7.53 PM.png

• Next step is to unlink your Brother's account from the computer. Click the Dropbox icon (note that Dropox need to be running in your computer to show up this icon) in the Windows taskbar tray area or Mac menubar > click the gear/cogwheel icon > choose Preferences

Screen_Shot_2018-06-21_at_11_11_28_PM.jpg

• Then go to Account tab and click Unlink this dropbox.
  • At this moment, Dropbox will prompt you to sign in. But before your sign in, go to Windows explorer/Mac Finder and rename the old Dropbox folder of your brother to anything other than Dropbox (say, Dropbox_brother). 
  • Now, you can sign in with your email and password that you already using in your work account. Now you should have both way syncing. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How to replace an existing Dropbox

Super User
Super User

Hello @hephraums, (1) If you have installed the Dropbox app in your home computer, and login with your same email and password as in your work computer, it will sync (two way upload/download) to your home computer as well. You do not need to pay any additional fees for this service. If your work account is a paid account, you do not pay any additional fees for connection to your home computer. If you are using a free/basic account in your work computer, then also you do not need to pay for connecting to home computer. 

(2) You cannot use multiple Dropbox account in your computer simultaneously. However, you can create multiple user accounts in your computer, and use separate Dropbox account with each account. If you do not want to create, multiple user accounts in your OS/computer, you have to unlink your brother's account, and sign in with your email and password. In order to do this follow these steps: 

• First locate the local Dropbox location of your Brother's account. The default location is C:\Users\<username>\Dropbox in Windows and /Users/<username>/Dropbox . Also you can directly go to the Dropbox folder by clicking the Dropbox shortcut in the left sidebar of Windows explorer or Mac Finder. You can also launch the Dropbox folder by clicking the Dropbox icon on the Windows taskbar tray area or Mac menubar > and then clicking the folder icon. Remember this location. 

2018-06-25 at 7.53 PM.png

• Next step is to unlink your Brother's account from the computer. Click the Dropbox icon (note that Dropox need to be running in your computer to show up this icon) in the Windows taskbar tray area or Mac menubar > click the gear/cogwheel icon > choose Preferences

Screen_Shot_2018-06-21_at_11_11_28_PM.jpg

• Then go to Account tab and click Unlink this dropbox.
  • At this moment, Dropbox will prompt you to sign in. But before your sign in, go to Windows explorer/Mac Finder and rename the old Dropbox folder of your brother to anything other than Dropbox (say, Dropbox_brother). 
  • Now, you can sign in with your email and password that you already using in your work account. Now you should have both way syncing. 

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?