cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop ._ (dot dash) files being uploaded

How to stop ._ (dot dash) files being uploaded

Robert O.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I recently switched my storage folder from internal hard drive to my external drive. Since then, in every drive there's a duplicate under the extension of ._xxxx as well as "conflicted copy of xxxx". Can't delete files on the root folder which isn't nice and every new file gets duplicated.

Solutions to delete them...permanently?

Mac 10.10.5 

Dropbox 3.10.8

20 Replies 20

atiqah r.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The ._files are created because we use the Macbook. I have the same issue regarding this matter. So what is the solution now???

The file created looked very messy to me. If we delete the._files, they will appear again.

Robert O.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Atiqah, yes if you delete the, they will keep on reappearing unless you move the files to a drive that is not FAT32 formatted. It's been a big issue in my organization's account and resulting solution is not syncing the dropbox desktop on a removable drive.

atiqah r.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank Robert O. So, it seems no end solution.

I think we should do a backup...it is tiring to delete all the files...

Robert O.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Atiqah: Been there, done that. You'll still backup the ._ files. What we did was set aside some time daily for about a week and assigned folders to team members to delete the files. Have people who have the app on their devices uninstall them until it's the cleanup is done so the files don't get resynced. Good luck

atiqah r.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is that any other issues, if I just delete the ._ file. I know it will appear again and again if I deleted the ._file...I am just afraid that I will lost all my documents.

Will find a day do a back up....Thanks again:-)

Robert O.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Doing a backup regularly is recommended. Regarding the ._ files, if you do a proper cleanup the first time, they'll only appear again if someone uses the wrong type of storage that generates them as far as I know.

Since the time we did the clean up, we've had the files regenerate on two instances but since we introduced the policy of how to store offline Dropbox files, we've had no instances.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

they'll only appear again if someone uses the wrong type of storage that generates them as far as I know.

Correct.

So, it seems no end solution.

The solution is to move your Dropbox to a drive partition that is properly formatted for OS X/macOS. Your Mac is doing this; not Dropbox.

Gary A.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So, since my partner accesses our shared dropbox folders with his Mac, and I access them with my Windows machine it seems there is no solution to getting rid of those files, right?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

So, since my partner accesses our shared dropbox folders with his Mac, and I access them with my Windows machine it seems there is no solution to getting rid of those files, right?

If your partner stores his Dropbox folder on a partition type that doesn't support extended file attributes (such as FAT32, which most external drives are formatted as), then no, there's no solution.

If he stores his Dropbox folder on a partition type that does support extended file attributes, such as the native partition type for OS X/macOS (HFS+ I believe), then this problem won't occur (once you clean up the existing ._ files).

atiqah r.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Rich R. for the solution....

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Ermanno New member | Level 2
    atiqah r. Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    Gary A.5 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?