cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: How to stop dropox from changing explorer icons

Helpful | Level 6

I went to the idea forum and the idea of giving the user the option to disable overlay manhandling was already suggested a few times over the years; I would say the chances of the suggestion being implemented are slim-to-none.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been moving stuff off dropbox for sometime as this is a real problem.  Today I remove dropbox from the PC as this appears to be the only way to fix this problem.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Removing immediately.  Surprising and application such as this can't recognize this is an essential feature.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi everyone, thanks for the interest with regards to the overlay icons.

I’d recommend creating a thread in the Share an Idea page to vote on with other users for the dev team to look into this.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Actually this doesn't help because it's been suggested a few times already.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello! thank you for your effort in solving this issue. I've created a post in "Share an idea" section and trying to reach as many people as I can to gather more votes. Please consider upvoting and sharing my post.

Perhaps one day we will win

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Add-option-to-disable-icon-overlays-in-Windows-Explore...

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I have found that one of the most annoying things that Dropbox has dreamed up is messing with my custom icons. Nothing works to make my changes permanent. However, I remapped by drive to a virtual one as this reply recommends and gave it a try. I changed my icons, only time will tell if they stay that way. If so, the author of this idea deserves a gold star! This is such a simple thing to do (don't like messing with the registery either). I have lots of folders and really need visual queues to locate folders in an efficient way.

As an aside, I surely hope Microsoft has learned a few things over the years and releases Windows 11 with lots of folder icons and also allows a tiles view to be a permanent option. Another huge issue with resetting something the user has to keep resetting!!

Thanks! Will try to post an update.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

Well, that idea worked for all of five minutes. Another dud! Oh well!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

I completely agree with this post. Dropbox is apparently out to annoy their customers. Check out the date when this was posted. Now check the current date. You can see where Dropbox priorities are. This is one reason that I started using another service. The problem is that cloud services are expensive, so I need to weigh options whether to nix Dropbox from my company or not. It is this kind of arrogance, in where they keep hearing the same thing, but do NOTHING ABOUT IT!

Dropbox doesn't care what you and I think about the issue. They keep ignoring a simple request to fix something.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Sometimes the icons are useful, sometimes they are not.  Toggle for off is ideal solution.  Putting GLARING, brightly colored icon overlay on top of people's thumbnails degrades the usefulness of that view.  BAD DESIGN IS BAD DESIGN.  Tiny colored circles would work just as well.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?