cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to stop syncing using a script?

How to stop syncing using a script?

jega
Helpful | Level 6

I know how to stop syncing manually, but I need to do it automatically before the backup start automatically in the night. Any idea how to start / stop syncing by a command in the .bat file?

6 Replies 6

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Hey @jega, I understand that you’d like to automate this process, however this inquiry pertains to setting other parameters, independently from Dropbox, so I’ll just leave this question open to our Community of users; maybe someone could offer their insight on how you’d best go about on this request. 

Thanks again for taking the time to drop us a line on the Community & have a wonderful day ahead!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jega
Helpful | Level 6

No, I simply need to stop syncing without fiddling manually with icon in tray. It may be just stopping syncing or (worse) stopping Dropbox (application), so after issuing such a command I should be sure, that Dropbox would not change the files until I start it again i.e. during the backup process.

Most applications can be started and stopped from command line, probably Dropbox too.

rwdk
New member | Level 2

Use the Windows taskkill command.

TASKKILL /F /IM dropbox.exe /T

(For more info start command prompt and type taskkill /?)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @jega,

For almost full control over the application, if that's very important for you, switch to Linux (only few actions are still restricted to GUI interface - move the Dropbox dir in fact). :wink: Many companies do that! You can use independent data server machine, running Linux or just virtual one, depending on what you really need.

Using taskkill could be dangerous! Even very unlikely, active sync process could be stopped while in action, which could lead to troubles - disturbed data. :scream:

Good luck!

jega
Helpful | Level 6

Thank you, but I'm afraid it is too complicated for me. After all I need just stop the sync for a short time once a day to be shure that the backup image (inluding Dropbox folder) is consistent. I use Windows 10 and thugh I'm not happy with this there is many reason to keep it like this.

As to risk with killing the process I think it is about same as closing the system, isn't it? I can close system at any time and Dropbox must be prepared for such a situation, right? So I think I can give it a try and see what's going on.

On the other hand maybe I don't need to stop anythig?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Actually it's not like a system close! System close is process and system message is send to every one application which gives the opportunity the applications closing properly. 'taskkill' stops (pause or kill) particular process. If at that moment there are incomplete operation (for example buffered, but not saved still content), data could be left in inconsistent state and accordingly inconsistent backup.

What You really need? That's only on your opinion. Generally, if at the backup creation moment there is not any chance something to be in sync progress (ensured somehow), no stop is really need.

About 'too complicated': It's not so complicated really. The installation could be virtual, as noted above, and You don't have to change your current installation (except virtual machine install of your choice - QEMU, VirtualBox, VMware, ...).

The choice is yours! :wink:

Need more support?